Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Lady Bengals Dominate over Hilbert’s Hawks

Tashawni+Cornfield+of+the+Buffalo+State+Bengals+shoots+a+free+throw.+
Roelissa Bedgood
Tashawni Cornfield of the Buffalo State Bengals shoots a free throw.

Buffalo State women’s basketball team took on Hilbert Hawks on Dec. 12 at the Sports Arena to close out the semester with a score of 70-30. This game allowed the Bengals to break their losing streak as they dominated in this non-conference win. 

The game opened with both teams leading with aggression and persistence. Before today’s meeting, Buffalo State was 2-4 for the season, while Hilbert’s record was 1-6. 

The first half of the game was shot for shot with neither team letting up, as the first quarter ended with a score of 15-13, Hilbert leading. In the second quarter, Buffalo came in with a new energy to gain the lead. After three minutes in, the atmosphere of the gym shifted as Buffalo took the lead 20-18, and maintained the lead before halftime with a score of 32-26.

By the third quarter, it was evident that the Bengals weren’t going home without the win. The Hawks were only able to score a single point in the third quarter. To end the game, Hilbert coughed up some momentum, but it was not enough to regain the lead. The Bengals ended the game as fans and supporters cheered them on, ending the game with the lead of 30 points. 

Tashawni Cornfield was a major player in helping the team as she scored relentlessly with 26 points, eight rebounds and five steals. Kirsten Merritt also was a star player as she had 11 points, along with Maddy Stearns who had 10 points, five rebounds and two steals. 

Next, the Bengals pack up their bags to battle Alfred State on Saturday at 1 p.m. To stay updated with the Lady Bengals, visit https://buffalostateathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball.