Emmanuel Rodriguez
Emmanuel Rodriguez
Sports Editor

Buffalo Bills lose to Philadelphia Eagles 37-34 in overtime thriller

https://pixy.org/4214058/
Buffalo Bills logo drawing (Cliparts) buffalo bills,logo

The Buffalo Bills traveled to Philadelphia to play the Eagles in a game that saw Buffalo lose 37-34 in a close one.

The highly anticipated matchup lived up to the hype, as both teams went back and fourth in a game that needed extra time to determine a winner.
The Buffalo Bills accumulated 505 yards of total offense on the night, while allowing 378 yards in a high scoring contest.

The Bills quarterback Josh Allen was a big part of the game, completing 29 of his 51 passes for 339 yards and two touchdowns with one interception, and added nine carries for 81 yards and two touchdowns on the ground as well.
However, the rest of the Bills rushing attack was poor, recording just 92 yards between the other three rushers for Buffalo.

As for the Bills defense, they played the pass well in yardage, allowing just 193 yards. Despite the low total of yards, Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts threw three touchdown passes, lifting them past the Bills.

The real problem for the Bills defense was their rush defense, allowing 185 yards and two rushing touchdowns, including the game-winning score.
In the end, Buffalo would fall again, and need to step up quickly in order to make a playoff push.

Recap

Both teams started slowly, as Buffalo punted twice and Philadelphia punted once to start the contest.
However, on their second drive, the Eagles offense was able to break through, capping off a 10 play drive with a one-yard rushing touchdown to take a 7-0 lead.

Buffalo’s offense was able to respond with a field goal, making it 7-3 late in the first quarter.
The Bills defense was then able to make a big play, as Bills pass rusher Leonard Floyd tipped a pass from Jalen Hurts at the line, allowing teammate Terrel Bernard to intercept it giving Buffalo the ball back in good field position.
Buffalo was able to capitalize off the turnover, scoring their first touchdown of the game in just four plays to take a 10-7 lead early in the second quarter.

After the touchdown, both teams offenses started to slow down as Philadelphia punted the ball twice and Buffalo punted it once.
The Bills offense would then get a little spark and drive into field goal range before kicker Tyler Bass’ 34-yard field goal was blocked by rookie defensive tackle Jalen Carter to keep it 10-7.

This would give Philadelphia the ball back with under two minutes to go, but running back Kenneth Gainwell and quarterback Jalen Hurts fumbled the exchange on a handoff, and Bills Greg Rosseau recovered, giving Buffalo another chance to score before the half.
The Bills offense would do just that, scoring a touchdown on five plays to take a 17-7 lead heading into halftime.

2nd half

The teams again started slow to start the second half, as the Eagles punted, and Bills kicker Tyler Bass missed a 48-yard field goal to keep it 17-7.

Both teams would then pick it up, as the Eagles drove the ball down the field in six plays ending with a touchdown, to narrow their deficit to just three points.

However, Buffalo was able to respond with a touchdown of their own on a nine-play drive that went 70 yards to retake a 10-point lead.

Despite the adversity, Philadelphia continued to apply pressure, scoring another touchdown to make it 24-21 late in the third quarter.
The Bills offense would then turn the ball over, as quarterback Josh Allen threw an interception, giving the Eagles a chance to take the lead.

That is exactly what they would do, scoring a touchdown on a drive that would only take three plays to give them a 28-24 lead in the final quarter.
The teams would then trade punts, before the Bills offense drove down the field on a 10 play, 74-yard drive to retake the lead late in the fourth quarter.

Yet again, the Eagles were up to the challenge, as kicker Jake Elliot kicked a game-tying field goal with just under 20 seconds to go, forcing overtime.

Overtime

The Bills would win the toss and of course receive, and after a long drive, quarterback Josh Allen threw a pass for wide receiver Gabe Davis for a touchdown, but the two weren’t on the same page and Buffalo settled for three, leaving the door open for the Eagles to win the game.

The Eagles would take advantage of this opportunity, as quarterback Jalen Hurts led a nine play 75-yard drive capped off with a nine-yard game-winning touchdown run from Hurts to win 37-34 in a thriller.

Takeaways

Despite their best efforts, the Buffalo Bills lost to Philadelphia in an absolute nail biter of a game.

This is now Buffalo’s sixth loss of the season, and while the team remains in the hunt for a playoff spot, their hopes are running out.

The Bills now get a much-needed bye week to recover in preparation for another barn burner with Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs.