Emmanuel Rodriguez
Emmanuel Rodriguez
Sports Editor

Buffalo Sabres fall 4-3 in overtime against Washington to end road trip.

Buffalo Sabres current logo.
Buffalo Sabres current logo.

The Buffalo Sabres were back on the road for the third consecutive game Wednesday night, falling to the Capitals in overtime 4-3.

The Sabres had the lead for the entire game aside from the end, leading 2-0, and 3-2 at different points in the contest.

However, Washington scored to tie the game late in the final frame, and did it again in overtime to come back and win 4-3.

Buffalo’s special teams had a good night, as Dylan Cozens scored on the power play for Buffalo, and the team went 2/2 on the penalty kill as well.

Further, rookie Zach Benson would score his first goal as well on a beautiful shot early in the game.

Even goaltender Devon Levi had a great game, saving 24 of 26 shots, before allowing two goals on his last five shots against.
Despite a good effort, the team would still fall in a heartbreaking loss to Washington.

1st period

Neither side could get much going early, as both teams offense started slow.

That was until the Sabres started to apply some pressure in the Capitals zone, and this pressure would lead to the game’s first goal, scored by Buffalo’s J.J. Peterka.

Washington’s offense would finally start to get going, but Sabres goaltender Devon Levi kept it 1-0 Buffalo.

Buffalo would get a few good chances in front, before the puck found rookie Zach Benson who scored his first career goal on a beautiful shot to extend the Sabres lead to 2-0.

However, Washington would respond shortly after, as Alexander Alexeyev’s shot made it through traffic, beating Levi to bring the Capitals within one.

After this goal, both teams offense started to slow down, as the defenses stepped up, until late in the period when the Sabres would take the first penalty of the night.

Washington would get a few good chances on their power play, but Buffalo’s penalty kill was able to keep their team in front 2-1, as the period ended.

2nd period

Buffalo would start the frame by killing off the final five seconds of their penalty, and goaltender Devon Levi was able to make a few good saves to keep it 2-1.

The Sabres offense would then get involved, getting a few good chances, but once again the game remained 2-1.

Washington would respond with a 3-on-2 chance the other way, and after Levi made the first save, forward T.J. Oshie would bury the rebound to tie the game at two.
The highlights would continue, as the two teams traded chances but would continue in a tie game.

Due to the fast-paced play, the Capitals would end up taking a penalty.

Right off the faceoff, the Capitals would take it the other way for a 2-on-1 shorthanded, but Levi made the save and shortly after Washington would take another penalty.

Washington was able to kill off the first penalty, but Sabres Dylan Cozens was able to beat goaltender Darcy Kuemper on a one-timer to give Buffalo a 3-2 lead.

Shortly after the goal, Buffalo would end up taking a penalty of their own, but after successfully killing it, the period would end with Buffalo in front by one.

3rd period

The teams would start the third period slow, as there was just one shot between the two teams in the first eight minutes.

However, Washington would start to apply some pressure, but the Sabres defense was able to consistently keep them from scoring.

The teams entered the final five minutes of the game in a 3-2 contest, but Washington would continue to apply the pressure.

Late in the period, Washington would pull the goaltender and Tom Wilson would score to tie the game at three with just over a minute to play in regulation time.

The Sabres weren’t able to respond, and the teams would head to overtime.

Overtime

Both teams would fly up and down the ice from the beginning of the period, before the teams started to slow things down and play more strategically.

Buffalo would enter the zone with a minute left and start to move the puck.

However, with 15 seconds left, the Capitals would steal the puck and would get one last chance on a 2-on-1 and forward Dylan Strome fired a shot past Levi with 3.6 seconds left in overtime to send Buffalo back home with a 4-3 loss.

Takeaways

While the Sabres played well for the majority of the game, they were unable to come out of Washington with a win.

Two goals late in their respective periods were enough for Washington to rally past Buffalo and send them back home with a 1-2 record on their road trip.

With the loss, Buffalo moves to 8-9-2 on the season, and will now look to play host to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday night.

View Comments (1)