Reuben Wolf
Arts Editor

Buffalo Sabres snap three-game losing streak with 3-2 win against Chicago Blackhawks

Andrew Fo
Sabres star defensemen Rasmus Dahlin being introduced in the starting lineups.

The Buffalo Sabres traveled to Chicago for the second of three games road trip, emerging victorious in a 3-2 game.

Buffalo’s offense struggled to get shots on goal, but the team as a whole still scored three times in this one, lifting them past rookie sensation Connor Bedard.

The Sabres defense was the highlight of the contest, as Erik Johnson scored a goal, and Rasmus Dahlin recorded three points, one goal and two assists, leading to a 3-2 win.

Buffalo’s special teams also performed well, as the power play scored, and the penalty kill unit was able to kill all three penalties against them.

Overall, the Sabres did well in all three phases of this game, allowing them to win a close one in Chicago to snap a three-game losing streak.

Goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen allowed just two goals on 26 shots in the contest as well, adding some much-needed stability in the net.

Recap

1st period

Both teams offenses started slow, as the defenses stepped up early.

Buffalo rookie Zach Benson was given a few chances in front of the net, but Blackhawks goaltender Peter Mrazek made the stops.
Shortly after these chances, Benson got another chance, but would instead pass to teammate Rasmus Dahlin who sniped a shot past Mrazek to give the Sabres a 1-0 lead.

The Blackhawks started to apply pressure after the goal, but Sabres goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen kept Buffalo in front.
Chicago would continue to apply pressure during the period, but Buffalo would remain ahead 1-0 through the opening period.

2nd period

Chicago picked up right where they left off, applying pressure as soon as the period started, forcing Buffalo to take a penalty, but Buffalo was able to stop it.

Shortly after the power play ended, forward Taylor Raddysh would score to tie the game at one, early in the period.

Buffalo’s offense would start to get going and eventually would force a penalty of their own, and on the power play, defensemen Rasmus Dahlin would find Jeff Skinner on the back door, for a tap in goal to give Buffalo a 2-1 lead.

The Sabres continued to apply pressure, but the Blackhawks kept it a one-goal game heading into the final few minutes of the period.

This is when rookie Connor Bedard would find some open ice and enter the Buffalo zone, taking a shot that was saved by Luukkonen, but teammate Philipp Kurashev scored on the rebound to once again tie the game, this time at two.

The teams would trade more chances late, but neither side capitalized, sending it to the third period tied.

3rd period

The Sabres offense would get some quality chances early, but the high intensity play led to an early penalty.

On the penalty kill, Buffalo forward Dylan Cozens had a great chance short-handed, but was stopped in close by Peter Mrazek.

The Sabres would then go on to kill the penalty, despite some good looks for the Blackhawks power play.

Chicago would continue to apply pressure after the power play, but they would commit a costly turnover, as Sabres defensemen Erik Johnson scored a beautiful goal to give Buffalo a 3-2 lead with less than 10 minutes to go in the third.

Shortly after the goal was scored, Chicago would get too aggressive and take a penalty, putting Buffalo back on the man advantage.
Despite a few good chances, Buffalo couldn’t capitalize as they headed into the final five minutes with a one goal lead.

With the pressure on late, Chicago would pull the goaltender in an attempt to make a last second comeback.

Chicago established some offense zone pressure, and would receive a few good chances, when Bedard hit the post and Hall was stopped by Luukkonen at the buzzer to preserve Buffalo’s lead and allow them to win 3-2.

Takeaways

Buffalo had a great night of hockey, having the lead or being tied for the entirety of the contest.

The Sabres defense played well, scoring a few goals and allowing Buffalo to hold on late to end what was a three-game losing skid.

Buffalo now moves to 8-9-1 with the victory, and they now look ahead to a matchup with the Washington Capitals, in their final game of a three-game road trip.