Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Buffalo State takes on Fredonia in a Battle by the Lakes rivalry weekend

Evan Harrington

The Buffalo State Bengals are set to take on the Fredonia Blue Devils in the Battle by The Lakes rivalry this weekend.

Buffalo State will be on the road Friday at Fredonia at 7 p.m. but will finish the weekend at home against Fredonia at 7 p.m. from the Buffalo State Ice Arena.

The Bengals are coming off of a tough weekend against SUNYAC opponents Oswego and Cortland, as they were defeated in both matchups.

Cortland got the best of the Bengals 6-3 in their first matchup of the year against one another. Buffalo State started the scoring in that one with Aidan LaValley’s first of the season. Cortland would answer back, but overall, it was a 1-1 hockey game at the end of the first.

In the second period, Cortland opened up the scoring with two goals, but Nick Stuckless and Buffalo State answered with one of their own.

Going into the third down 3-2, Buffalo State had an opportunity to get back into this game, but overall, Cortland extended their lead and defeated the Bengals 6-3.

Against Oswego, the Bengals were in for another tough matchup. Oswego opened the scoring in the first period, and the Bengals found themselves down 1-0 after one.

The Bengals had plenty of scoring opportunities throughout the second period but couldn’t get past the Oswego goaltender.

It was still 1-0 after two. Shortly into the third, the Lakers pounded on the scoring as the Bengals could only do so much defensively to that point, and Oswego put three goals up in the third, helping them win the game 4-0 against the Bengals.

Looking now at the Fredonia Blue Devils they have a 0-4 record to start the season, with a 0-2 SUNYAC record. Oswego and Cortland also defeated them in their last matchups.

These two teams met just a few weeks ago for a pre-season matchup. The Blue Devils and Bengals tied 2-2 in OT against one another that game.

These two teams have a ton of history with one another. Both are 0-2 in the SUNYAC, and both games are coming up this weekend; each team is in a must-win situation for both games.

Next, the Bengals are on the road up against the defending National Champions in Hobart for a non-conference matchup and then return home against the Morrisville Mustangs in a SUNYAC matchup.