Dan Almasi
Dan Almasi
Executive Editor

First Pro Basketball Home Opener in Buffalo Secures Buzzer Beater Win

Roelissa Bedgood
Howard Washington of the Buffalo eXtreme drives to the basket.

This past Saturday, fans welcomed professional basketball back into Western New York.

The team, dubbed the Buffalo eXtreme hosted its home opener game against the Rochester Kingz at the XGEN Elite Sports Complex at 7p.m. with a last-second win of 98-96.

In the jam-packed arena, spectators waited in anticipation for the first-of-it’s-kind event.

During the first half of the game, Buffalo dominated with an early head start. With about seven minutes left in the first quarter, Rochester took a brief lead, but was not successful in maintaining it by the end of the quarter.

By halftime, the eXtreme upheld the lead with a score of 58-50.

Throughout the second half of the game, fans stood and watched with suspense as the fourth quarter dwindled down. The score became tied at 96 with 1:40 left.

In the last second of the game, Marcus Feagin made the winning basket, helping Buffalo win their first game of the season.

Buffalo players to pay attention to include Javon McRea (22 points), Marcellus Cooper (20 points), and Howard Washington (18 points).

XGEN has recently purchased the exclusive rights to bring an American Basketball Association (ABA) team to the area. The ABA is a men’s professional basketball league initially formed in partnership with the NBA. It is America’s largest pro league with over 180 teams in the United States.

According to their website, the ABA “provides opportunities for experienced players that are seeking to advance their professional careers”.

Notable ABA players of the past include Rick Barry, Julius Irving, George Gervin and many others. There will be 20 games this season, including playoffs, from November through April.

Currently, the Buffalo eXtreme is 2-0 for the season. They will play the Upstate Trojans on the road on November 11.

To stay updated, make sure to check out their website and stream their games on The Sports Fan Base Network.

View Comments (1)