Dan Almasi
Dan Almasi
Executive Editor

Buffalo State Men’s Hockey on the road for SUNYAC action

Alexis Coia

The Buffalo State Bengals Men’s Hockey team is set for SUNYAC action this weekend against the Cortland Red Dragons and Oswego State Lakers.

This past weekend, the Bengals went 1-1 in the Bengals Classic after defeating King’s College 4-2 in the first round of the tournament, sending them to the championship game against the Salve Regina Seahawks, but the Hawks were too much for the Bengals as they defeated Buffalo State 7-2 in the title game.

Getting hot is something these Bengal players know how to do. Buffalo State has five players currently riding two-game point streaks. Joe Glamos, Michael McCosh, Aidan LaValley, Anthony Morin, and Jake Meure have all at least recorded two or more points throughout their first two games this season.

After a hot start for the Bengals, Anthony Morin looks to keep improving each game, setting himself up for a career junior season. “ We talked about early on that being a junior now; we need him to come out of his shell and produce for us, especially losing some of the goals scoring we had last year in the offense,” said Bengals Head Coach Steve Murphy.

To watch and hear more Bengals Head Coach Steve Murphy’s comments about the team and Buffalo State Hockey, check out the latest Mondays with Murph as Evan Harrington sits down with the coach every Monday to talk Bengals Hockey.

On Friday, the Bengals are set to take on the 2-0 Red Dragons in a SUNYAC matchup. Cortland is coming out the gate red hot this year, as they have 15 combined goals throughout their first two games. Nate Berke has been a monster for the Red Dragons to start the season, as he has seven points throughout his first two games played. They are still looking to replace the stud senior goaltender from last season, Luca Durante, as they have younger goalies in their system in Ronan Mobley and Jack Reidell.

The History between these two teams last season goes pretty deep. The Bengals and Red Dragons split in the regular season, going 1-1 against each other, but met in the first round of the SUNYAC playoffs as Buffalo State would get the best of Cortland, beating them 3-2.

On Saturday, the Bengals look to finish out their first road trip of the season against Oswego in a SUNYAC matchup. Oswego is 1-1 on the season, defeating the defending national champions Hobart 3-2 but losing to Elmira 7-3. Tyler Flack is off to a good start for Oswego, with two goals and one assist in one game played.

Both teams have a history, as Oswego defeated Buffalo State in the season series 2-0 and defeated them in the second round of the SUNYAC playoffs 4-1.

Both games are at 7 p.m. this Friday and Saturday and can be watched live on BuffaloStateAthletics.com.