Francis Boeck
Francis Boeck
Executive Editor

Beyond Boundaries kicks off Fall film series with Rosa Parks

Library of Congress Public Domain Archive, Prints & Photographs Division, Visual Materials from the Rosa Parks Papers. https://loc.getarchive.net/media/rosa-parks-in-conversation-with-others-likely-at-the-dedication-of-graham-and-2f5b88

Being able to stand up to injustice and leave a long-lasting impact in our world is easier said than done. When faced with that challenge, Rosa Parks is often a name people look to for inspiration. Her holding on to her seat on the Montgomery bus during segregation sparked a major boycott to end this inhumane policy.

Yet, there are plenty of aspects in Parks’ life that are not always put into the spotlight. Based on the book with the same name by author Jeanne Theoharis, the documentary The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks is here to give the full picture with a strong message. A screening of the documentary took place on Sept. 21 at 7pm in the Burchfield Penney Art Center as the first in the Beyond Boundaries: Film and Discussion Series this Fall.

“We chose The Rebellious Life of Rosa Parks as the opening film because we thought it was a perfect fit for the “weeks of welcome” for new students at Buffalo State,” says Ruth Goldman, a Beyond Boundaries coordinator and associate professor of media production in the Communication Department at Buffalo State University. “The film dispels the myth of Rosa Parks as an “accidental activist” and shows us the depth and breadth of her six decades of activism.”

Within those decades of Parks’ activism includes being a crucial member of the NAACP, standing up and supporting the victims of a biased and racist justice system, giving a voice to black women that were survivors of violence, highlighting the issues of police brutality, and so many other actions that this sentence would not have an ending. One reason why these other actions are not in the forefront is that before this film, there had been no documentaries made about Parks’ life.

Co-director Yoruba Richen attended the screening via on Zoom to answer questions.

“I was contacted by my co-director, Johanna Hamilton, who had connected with Jeanne about the book, and was quite astonished that a full-length documentary had not been made about Rosa Parks,” said Richen.

Unfortunately, as the overshadowing of the Montgomery bus boycott affected the perception of Parks, she often had to struggle and make economic sacrifices to do her activism.

“Rosa Parks was rich within the movement, but she was living in poverty,” said Dr. Ron Stewart, Buffalo State’s Sociology Department chair.

The impact of Parks’ work did inspire people from multiple generations, from Congressperson John Conyers recruiting her to his congressional office, to the activists fighting against the voter suppression laws today. It highlights the importance of committing to the fight against injustice.

“She never stopped fighting that justice and knew that we were not there at the end of her life,” said Richens. “Obviously we are still not now, but it gives me some inspiration and hope that you have to keep on keeping on, and Mrs. Parks knew that.”

As more screenings are happening of this film, more interest has been gained in having this film be taught in educational settings.

“Now that the film has been made it needs to be widely disseminated in schools!” said Meg Knowles, a Beyond Boundaries coordinator and associate professor of media production in Buffalo State’s Communication Department.

The next screening in this series is The Last Out on Oct. 19, with special guest Director Sami Khan. Visit the Communication Department website for future screenings.

View Comments (1)