“Friend-shipping” into College

Natalie Maloy, Curved Editor

There are a lot of opportunities for students to get involved at SUNY Buffalo State. Whether it be with on-campus clubs or off-campus events. As a campus, we are all connected and have similar paths whether you think so or not. There are so many people out there to relate to. With the new semester approaching, you just have to keep your horizons open and an eye out for opportunities to make new friends.

Friendships in college are important. Not only for your social life but also for your school work and health. You may ask why or how?

There is a book written by Carolina Floras called, “Friendfluence: The Surprising Ways Friends Make Us Who We Are.”

Floras writes about the effect friendships have on our lives. According to Floras, “Friendfluence is the powerful and often unappreciated role that friends—past and present—play in determining our sense of self and the direction of our lives.”

Friends can bring you so much happiness and make you feel wanted. The memories on your snap stories or just in your head will be there forever. For example, they will be there when you take a test. You can remember what you were doing when you were studying that exact flashcard while your friends were watching movies. Or when you’re having trouble with something, you have your friends to put on random songs to make you get up and dance and won’t take no for an answer.

But…you will make mistakes. You might tell a secret you weren’t supposed to tell. You might say things you don’t mean. But if they stay, then they are real friends.

In life though you grow out of friendships. Don’t be surprised if by your junior year or even second semester of your freshman year you lose friends. It is not necessarily a bad thing. It shows that you are maturing. Every person comes into your life for a reason. Whether they’re there for the short or long term. So don’t hate or dwell on lost friendships, it’s just a part of your timeline.

This semester is should be a time to make friends and focus on yourself too. Find your person, stay positive and start your semester off strong. And as we get going take some time to think about your “Friendfluences.”