February Roundup: Black History Month

Brianna Baptiste, Opinion Editor

After a month full of new beginnings, fresh starts and resolutions comes a month made of love and history combined. February is filled with black excellence and various occasions that celebrate romantic love, friendship and admiration.

SUNY Buffalo State has events all month long to shine a light on both aspects of this beautiful month.

Below are some historical, informational yet fun events that you can attend this month:

Feb. 4- Bangs for Bucks- The Pan-African Organization will be hosting an event to talk about how Asian countries enter Africa and the Caribbean pay off the people of the land for their natural resources.

Time: 6 p.m – 7 p.m Location: Classroom Building B118

Feb. 5- Welcome Back Mixer – NAACP will be hosting a mixer to filled with refreshments and games.

Time: 6 p.m Location: Assembly Hall

Black Love 3.0: Battle of the Couples – P.U.L.S.E. will be hosting a fun-filled game night where couples will compete against each other in various games to win different prizes.

Time: 7 p.m. Location: Tech 258

Feb. 6- Roots, Rasta, Reggae – The Caribbean Student Organization will be getting together to learn about the life of Bob Marley.

Time: 6 p.m Location: Classroom Building B118

Feb. 7- Date Night – P.U.L.S.E is hosting “Date Night” to teach people about the do’s and don’ts of date night.

Time: 12:15 p.m Location: Caudell 234

Feb. 8- The Chronicles of Buju Banton -The Life of Buju Banton is taught to SUNY Buffalo State students by the Caribbean Student Organization.

Time: 3 p.mLocation: Bacon 115

Feb. 9- Image Awards – This is an event to reward the stars all over campus. NAACP rewards students at this event in various categories.

Time: 6 p.m – 8 p.m Location: Social Hall

Feb. 11- Bank with Black– This is an event used to promote businesses owned students hosted by NAACP.

Time: 6 p.m  Location: Social Hall  

Feb. 12- Family Feud – Students will be playing the game family feud with the help of NAACP.

Time: 6 p.m  Location: Bulger 422

Letters to my Younger Self– The Pan-African Organization comes together to talk about the growth and changes that help to shape our character.

Time: 6 p.m Location: Caudell 123

Feb. 13- Man in the Mirror– NAACP will be coming together to discuss educating young men.

Time: 6 p.m  Location: Bulger 422

Galentine’s Day – P.U.L.S.E believes that Valentine’s Day is only about romantic or sexual love, it is also about taking the time to celebrate your love towards one’s lady friends. Female friendships are important and P.U.L.S.E will be celebrating them here.

Time: 7 p.m Location: Assembly Hall

Feb. 14 – Relationships 101 – NAACP will be discussing the basics needed for a successful relationship.

Time: 12:30 p.m  Location: Tech 160

Love Connection – This is a love-themed game night hosted by NAACP.

Time: 6 p.m Location: Assembly Hall

Feb. 15 – Blind Speed Dating – Students get chance to find their one true love in this Caribbean Student Organization event.

Time: 3 p.m  Location: Bacon 115

Feb. 20- Don’t Take it to the Grave – Black Active Minds will be discussing the causes of suicide and suicidal thoughts. They will also touch base on how actions and criticism from others can leave a lasting impression on others.

Time: 6 p.m  Location: Bulger 215

Black Herstory – P.U.L.S.E will be taking part in trivia and games themed around women and black history.

Time: 7 p.m  Location: Caudell 209

Feb. 21 – Who’s Your Daddy? – This P.U.L.S.E event touches on the impact our fathers have on people.

Time: 12:15 p.m  Location: Caudell 234

Oranges for Blacks – Black Active Minds take the time out to discuss how women are treated after being arrested.

Time: 6 p.m – 8 p.m  Location: Classroom Building C122

Feb. 25- We Are Rising – P.U.L.S.E will be discussing the life of black college students at predominantly white institutions.

Time: 7 p.m Location: Bulger 214

Feb. 28 – Head Over Heels – P.U.L.S.E closes off the month by opening up the discussion on the positive aspects of having a significant other.

Time: 12:15 p.m  Location: Caudell 234