Women’s Soccer looks to turn things around in 2018

2018 Buffalo State Women’s Soccer Preview

Kyle Fallon, Sports Reporter

After an upsetting 2017 season, the SUNY Buffalo State Women’s Soccer team is looking to make many improvements in 2018.

The team finished with a 3-13 record (0-9 SUNYAC) last season.

But according to head coach Nicholas DeMarsh there is a lot to be hopeful about.

“The team as a whole came to camp in decent shape,” DeMarsh said. “Much better than last fall. I expect we will get back to business and play our brand of soccer.”

One of the keys to this year’s success will come from captain Paige Bly, who because of an injury missed one year and is now a fifth-year senior.

“We are thrilled to have her back for one more go,” DeMarsh said. “She is mature and extremely effective in her position.”

Junior Taylor Carillo will be the starting goalkeeper for the Bengals.

Buffalo State averaged .088 goals per game while giving up 2.29 goals per game in 2017.

It’s a margin that DeMarsh thinks the team can diminish this season.

“I don’t typically predict who will show well, particularly with new players,” DeMarsh said. “I find that piling pressure on players doesn’t always produce the best performances and so, I will say that I am very excited about several of our new players.”

The team is improving by building a team that pressures other teams.

“We have built a reputation for toughness and pressing and so, we will push every team we play to the limit,” DeMarsh said. “I am pleased with phase two of the rebuild. I expect to be in the playoffs and really imposing our will on our opponents by November.”

Buffalo State also loses several players from last year’s team.

“Players are in and out of the roster every year for various reasons,” DeMarsh said. “It is not ideal but being a Varsity letter winner is very demanding. We ask for a significant commitment and being a student-athlete is not for everyone. Very rewarding but a big challenge.”

The Bengals open their season against Farmingdale State on Friday and then take on Western Connecticut State on Saturday in the R-P-I tournament in Troy, New York.