Bishop Hall, new home for honor students

Johnathan Ciolek, Staff Writer

For the Fall 2018 semester, Bishop Hall, located between Porter and Neumann Hall, will be a new residence option for any students in the Muriel A. Howard Honors Program or the Dean’s Honors Program.

Bishop Hall was originally a residence hall; however, it was soon repurposed to shelter various academic department offices and computer labs. Now with the higher demand for student housing, the hall will be renovated once again to fulfill its original state.

Improvements will be made to the residence hall to make it more appealing to students. The hall will feature a state-of-the-art classroom with seating for 24 students, a multipurpose/game room, study spaces and laundry facilities on each floor, free printing for Honors students, and a building kitchen for students.

The design for the new residence hall was created in the February of 2016. Construction started the summer of the following year. Students are expected to be available to move in starting August 2018.

This $16 million project is being overseen by the architectural company, Mach Architecture, stationed in Tonawanda, NY.

“At Mach Architecture, our business is the planning and design of educational facilities. Our practice is first to listen. Our product is more than bricks and mortar; it is a relationship born from our dependable integrity and commitment to delivering our best to each client”, said Brian D. Kelley, President of Mach Architecture.

Mach Architecture is a company that focuses solely on the design and construct of educational facilities. The company has been a part of the architectural industry for nearly a half a century.

“We understand contemporary student environments, from residence halls to classrooms to playing fields. The competitive advantage in the services we provide is a result of deliberate focus on the educational market. Our residence halls are places where students want to live. Our support facilities promote student success and our buildings are environmentally sensitive, functional, and progressive in their design”, Kelley said.

Several honors students are excited for what the new residence hall has to offer. For some of them, it is a new change of scenery with great expectations. Some honors students who will be moving off-campus said that they still are fond of the hall. They believe it will be a nice improvement.

For any honors students interested in residing in Bishop Hall for the upcoming fall semester should fill out their housing application on My Housing through Banner and pay their $125 housing deposit by May 1st. Although a space in the hall is not reserved, it helps if students put Bishop Hall as their first choice on the housing application. Be sure to have alternative halls as back up options.