O.J. Simpson to be guest lecturer at SUNY Buffalo State

Francis Boeck, Managing/Sports Editor

The MAT 107 Casino Gambling class will host former Buffalo Bills running back and actor O.J. Simpson as a guest lecturer later this month.

Simpson, who has been living in Nevada for the past 10 years, will speak to students about the casino gambling culture of Las Vegas on April 27th in the Social Hall of the Campbell Student Union at 7:30 p.m.

“We are excited to be the first school to host Mr. Simpson,” professor Craig Boldesmith said. “He will provide students with real-life experiences of the Las Vegas lifestyle and how gambling really fits into that. He is a charismatic speaker and has a great life-story to tell.”

According to Boldesmith, the lecture will be open to the public broadcasted live from opening to closing statements on the campus’ cable network channel.

In conjunction with hosting Simpson, the SUNY Buffalo State mathematics department will hold a fundraiser for the juice farmers of America by auctioning off sports memorabilia and a white Bronco.

Before becoming a Vegas expert, Simpson played for the Buffalo Bills from 1969-1977 and retired second on the NFL’s all-time rushing list with 11,236 yards.

“I’m so happy to go back to Buffalo,” Simpson told The Record. “I loved it so much. I hope it will bring back great memories of when I played football. I wish it will snow when I’m there.”

“I know a lot about Vegas and I think my stories will give students a firm grasp of casino gambling.”

Simpson’s success continued off the field becoming a pitchman for the Hertz rental car company and began a film career in 1974. Simpson had the appeared as Detective Nordberg in The Naked Gun trilogy.

In 1995, Simpson was acquitted of the double-murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. He was later found liable for the murders in civil court and ordered to pay the families $33,500,000.

Simpson was sentenced to 33 years in prison for an armed robbery that took place in a Las Vegas hotel in 2007. He was released on parole last year.

“(Simpson) has lived such an interesting life,” said junior Johnny Sleamers. “I can’t wait to listen to his stories.”

The news isn’t fake… but today it is. This story is a part of our annual April Fool’s coverage, The Wreckard. It’s not true. It’s not factual. It’s all in good fun.

Happy April Fool’s Day!

[email protected]