Officials uncertain if Student Union will be open on Tuesday due to water main break

Yomira Meregildo/The Record

Yomira Meregildo/The Record

Yomira Meregildo/The Record

Construction crews are working to fix the water main break at the Campbell Student Union and SUNY Buffalo State officials are uncertain if the needed repairs will be made by Tuesday morning, meaning the Campbell Student Union may remain inaccessible on Tuesday.

An email, through the Buff State Alerts, will be sent out no later than 11 p.m. Monday to students on whether or not the Student Union will be open on Tuesday and any changes to food service operations.

According to Dr. Timothy W. Gordon, Vice President for Student Affairs, a ruptured pipe near the loading dock area was the cause of the incident.

“The water main failure was due to the rupture of a pipe beneath the steam tunnel near the Campbell Student Union loading dock,” Gordon said. “We do not have any definitive information about what caused the break to occur, but in most cases, the winter freezing and thawing cycle and the age of the pipes can be related to water main issues.”

Excavation crews are currently working to repair the broken area of the main break.

“The job is a large one and requires removal of a large surface area,” Gordon said.

Meanwhile, Chartwells will continue to serve dinner to students at the Houston Gym on the building’s second level via the entrance near the workout area and athletics offices.

Chartwells has delivered assorted hot lunch options and has an ample food supply to serve dinner as well, according to Gordon. The Houston Gym is expected to have breakfast on Tuesday morning if the Union remains closed.

SUNY Buffalo State faculty and staff are working diligently to accommodate students who have been inconvenienced by the incident.

“We will continue to focus on minimizing disruption to students by providing alternative spaces for students to access meals and events while the Campbell Student Union is offline,” Gordon said. “We will make a decision about reopening the union that is focused on continuing to provide high-quality services and a safe facility for students, faculty, and staff.”

For continuing coverage of the water main break at the Student Union and the changes surrounding it, follow @BSC_Record on Twitter.

Like us on Facebook: The Buffalo State Record

eberhaij01@mail.buffalostate.edu