Hatebreed Bring Energy to Town Ballroom

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hatebreed Bring Energy to Town Ballroom

Hatebreed vocalist Jamey Jasta got the Town Ballroom moving with his aggressive vocals.

Chris Prenatt

Chris Prenatt

Chris Prenatt

If you went to the Town Ballroom, 681 Main St., on December 7, you saw in my opinion one of the best damn shows the venue has seen this year.

Legendary hardcore/metalcore band Hatebreed played to a sold-out crowd at the Ballroom, drawing a massive crowd that differed in age. People between the ages of early 20s to late 50s were in attendance, being one of the most diverse crowds I’ve ever seen at a show so far. The band came to Buffalo as part of a massive fall tour celebrating the 20th anniversary of their debut album “Satisfaction is the Death of Desire” which came out on Victory Records and the 15th anniversary of their sophomore album “Perseverance” which was released on major label Universal Records. The band was just in Buffalo earlier this summer as part of this year’s Vans Warped Tour on the Monster Energy Stage along with GWAR, After the Burial, and CKY.

The opening acts on the tour included metal act Twitching Tongues, Pittsburgh based metal band Code Orange (their song “Forever” is nominated for Best Metal Performance along with acts like August Burns Red and Body Count,) and death metal trio Dying Fetus.

Doors opened at 6 but the show didn’t begin until 7 with Twitching Tongues going up first. Code Orange got the crowd going, causing several concert goers to start moshing. The band played hits like “I Am King,” “My World,” and their Grammy nominated song “Forever.” Dying Fetus brought something new to the table, being a straight-up metal band at a hardcore show. They were interesting, but I don’t think they fit well along with the other bands.

Hatebreed got onstage to the tune of the Christmas hit “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” joined in by the roars of their dedicated fans. All hell broke loose as the group ripped into their 28 song set, playing tracks from “Satisfaction” (“Empty Promises,” “Conceived Through an Act of Violence,” “Mark My Words”) and “Perseverance” (You’re Never Alone,” “Perseverance” “I Will Be Heard”) and songs from their other albums, including their newest album “The Concrete Confession” which came out last year on Nuclear Blast (Agnostic Front, Carnifex, Municipal Waste.)

One of my favorite moments was seeing these older gentlemen moshing along with the younger guys in the crowd. One man was wearing a long sleeve plaid shirt who was keeping the circle pit and mosh pits going throughout the night. Overall it was one incredible night and was my favorite show of 2017 as of now.

The final date of the tour is on Saturday, December 9 in Sayreville, N.J., at the Starland Ballroom.