The Wrecks “Turn It Up” at the Leopard Lounge

California rockers The Wrecks played to a sold-out crowd in Buffalo Saturday night at the Leopard Lounge in the Town Ballroom.

Chris Prenatt

Chris Prenatt

If you walked by the Leopard Lounge located inside the Town Ballroom at 681 Main St. Saturday night, you could only hear the sounds of young girls screaming incredibly loud, as if Justin Bieber was playing a gig there. But it wasn’t Bieber, it was the California based rock group The Wrecks.

Formed in 2015, the band composed of vocalist Nick Anderson, guitarists Western Weiss and Nick Schmidt, bassist Aaron Kelley, and drummer Billy Nally, have been treated kindly by the gods of rock n’ roll. They released their debut EP “We Are The Wrecks” earlier this year on Another Century Records (lovelytheband, Radkey, The Unlikely Candidates) which featured their major hit song “Favorite Liar”. “Favorite Liar” blew up on the alternative rock charts in the spring and helped the Thousand Oaks, Calif., quintet tour with All Time Low during the summer, along with playing shows with Paramore and Sir Sly.

According to their Facebook page, their EP was made on a whim. “With a total budget of $0, and only a week as a band under their belts, the group set out to record the best songs that they could in 3 days,” reads the about section on their Facebook page. “After working ridiculous hours through the night, and to the next day whenever they could get in the studio, the 3 days were over and the EP was cut. Little did the band know, they were not even allowed to be in the studio that week. So through feelings of guilt and worry, they cleaned every bit of information of theirs from the studio computer, every crumb of Dominoes from the studio couch, and they were off with their entire EP on an hard drive in a backpack.”

The Wrecks came to Buffalo as part of their first ever headlining tour titled the Robot Army Tour which featured Arizona based rock band The Technicolors and alternative rock trio Mainland. Their date at the Leopard Lounge was sold out.

The band was welcomed onstage by the roaring of fangirls who were dying to hear the quintet play. Anderson and the rest of his merry band played all three songs off of “We Are The Wrecks” and a few unreleased songs from an upcoming release such as “Wasted Youth”, “James Dean”, “Way With Words”, “Panic Vertigo”, and “Life”. What shocked me is that the crowd was singing along to the unreleased tracks, showing how dedicated these fans were and how powerful The Wrecks were becoming in the alternative rock scene. They also played a cover of Jet’s “Are You Gonna Be My Girl” which got the small venue jumping up and down and singing their hearts out.

Just watching The Wrecks play was incredible to witness. Their onstage presence was outstanding and the way Anderson sang swooned the girls in the audience. He’s got the looks and the voice to wow an audience of any size. Weiss and Schmidt stood out with how they shredded their guitars on songs like “James Dean” and “Turn It Up”. Nally pounded his drum kit like it was nobody’s business. If The Wrecks ever come to your town, I wouldn’t suggest skipping it.

The next date of their Robot Army Tour is Wednesday, November 29, at the Hard Luck in Toronto, Ont., with Brick + Mortar and lovelytheband.