Popular Musician Accused of Sexual Misconduct With a Minor

Brand New's vocalist Jesse Lacey has been accused of having lewd actions with a 15-year-old girl online back in 2002.

Kollision

Kollision

First it was Harvey Weinstein, then it was Kevin Spacey, and then Louis C.K. Now we have a new name to add to the list of famous men who’ve been accused of sexual allegations with women: Jesse Lacey.

Lacey has been the lead vocalist and guitarist for the legendary Long Island, N.Y., emo band Brand New since their inception in 2000. The band formed after Lacey left the band Taking Back Sunday due to a dispute between another member. Since then, the band has gained quite a fanbase, releasing several respected albums such as “Deja Entendu”, “The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me”, and “Science Fiction”, their long-awaited fifth album which dropped back in August.

The accusation first came out on November 10 on Facebook by former the Reunion Show bassist and current guitar tech for Guns N’ Roses Brian Diaz wrote a status saying, “So while we are on the topic of outing famous and semi-famous creeps, anyone want to speak up about Jesse Lacey from Brand New?”

One of the commenters on Diaz’s status, Nicole Elizabeth Garey, posted several comments about her ordeal with Lacey several years ago when she was 15. “YES. He solicited nudes from me starting when I was 15 and he was 24. Manipulated the hell out of me, demanded specific poses/settings/clothing, demeaned me, and made it clear that my sexuality was the only thing I had to offer,” Garey commented. “He knew what he was doing was sh*tty so he wouldn’t touch me until I was 19. I should’ve known better by then, but he had screwed me up so much psychologically that all I wanted was his approval. It f****d me up to the point that I STILL have nightmares and wakeup in a sweat. I still breakdown and have panic attacks when people play Brand New in a bar. JESSE LACEY IS A PIECE OF SH*T.”

Garey said in an article by Alternative Press that she met Lacey in 2002 at a holiday show in Buffalo. The two began talking to each other via AOL Instant Messenger and then Skype. She said then that he began asking her for her nudes and masturbating to her on Skype.

Lacey did eventually make a status on the band’s Facebook page addressing the situation. “The actions of my past have caused pain and harm to a number of people, and I want to say that I am absolutely sorry,” Lacey writes. He goes on to say that earlier in his life he “developed a dependent and addictive relationship with sex” and that “lust, sex, love, and arousal were coping tools” to him.

“I am sorry for how I have hurt people, mistreated them, lied, and cheated. I am sorry for ignoring the way in which my position, status, and power as a member of a band affected the way people viewed me or their approach to their interactions with me. And I am sorry for how often I have not afforded women the respect, support, or honesty that they deserved, and which is their right. I believe in the equality and autonomy of all, but in my life I have been more of a detriment to these ideals than an advocate,” Lacey continues in his confession.

This isn’t the first time the music scene had to deal with musicians being accused of or proven with sexual misconduct with minors. Members of bands like Front Porch Step, New Found Glory, Lostprophets, Set It Off, No Good News, and Neck Deep (which was later found by police to be false), were also accused of the same offense.