Alex the Great’s Week 9 Fantasy Football Recap

By Jeffrey Beall (Own work) [CC BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

The first rule of fight club is: You do not talk about fight club. Apparently, someone forgot to tell a few NFL players that rule since there were several on-field altercations in Week 9 that resulted in suspensions for some big-name fantasy players.

The waiver-wire this week is completely relative. For those who need a plug-in and play, Robert Woods of the Los Angeles Rams fits the mold quite nicely. Woods hit pay dirt twice, catching 4 of 5 targets for 70 yards and two scores. Woods is in for another nice match-up Week 10 against the Houston Texans defense.

The 0-9 49ers took another blow last week with the season-ending injury to their number one wide-out Peirre Garcon. Marquise Goodwin will emerge as the number one option for the 49ers in a mouth-watering match-up against a New York Giants defense that just gave up 51 points last week.

Running backs Kenyon Drake and Damien Williams of the Miami Dolphins showed well in their first game after the team traded pro bowl running back Jay Ajayi, freeing up the backfield. Either one is a great pick-up with great rest of season value.

For those teams with a little more flexibility regarding roster construction. There are a couple great stash pick-ups with long-term high-upside on the wire. If a team can pick up a player and “wait and see”, Danny Woodhead is the guy. The Baltimore Ravens have a bye in Week 10 but Woodhead is expected back in Week 11. Woodhead was traded for in the off-season and was off to a great start in Week 1 before suffering a major hamstring injury. Woodhead has a long history of fantasy success and could prove fantasy gold come playoff time. Woodhead is the ultimate stash.

Corey Davis of the Tennessee Titans is another player coming off a hamstring injury. The 2017 fifth overall pick returned in Week 9 after missing the past seven weeks. While his fantasy day was mediocre, Davis will take over as the number one pass-catcher for the Titans in the weeks to come.