Study abroad with the Anne Frank Project in Rwanda

Students wishing to embark on an educational journey abroad are implored to consider the annual trip to Rwanda, through Buffalo State’s Anne Frank Project.

“We have taken over 60 students to Rwanda, and they have gone on to use those experiences in multiple miraculous ways.” Said Professor Drew Kahn, Director of the Anne Frank Project.

Kahn describes each trip as a “truly unique and transformational experience.”

The deadline for applications is November 1st. Students will know if they have been accepted by Thanksgiving break.

The students accepted will depart for the three-week expedition in June 2018.

Kahn expressed the desire for applicants to possess characteristics of courage, compassion, an interest in learning drama based education, and a willingness to participate in a tight-knit traveling community.

Students will partake in a wide variety of East African experiences, including visits to wildlife safaris, villages, refugee camps, genocide memorials, and local schools (where drama based education will take place). The primary focus of the trip being, kinesthetic experiential teaching.

Highlights of the trip include a certification for completion of a drama based education learner workshop, assisting in training and development for teachers in Rwandan schools, firsthand experience in Rwandan history and culture, building intercultural relationships, studying the process of sustainable development, additionally earning six college credit hours.

“This is not a tourist trip. It is a working, discovering, exploring trip.” Kahn said.

The last informational meeting will take place Wednesday, Oct. 18, at 2 pm, in Rm. 160 in the Technology building.

Kahn encourages that students who cannot make it to the informational meeting, ask questions. He can be contacted by mail, [email protected].

Inquiries may also be sent to Eve Everette, Assistant Director of the Anne Frank Project, through her email, [email protected].

General information on the trip to Rwanda can be found on AFP’s Website, http://www.annefrankproject.com/global-connections/ and http://www.global-engagement.org/study/east-africa/drama-based-education/.