Alex the Great’s Week 5 Fantasy Football Recap

The fantasy reaper has struck yet again. This time taking with him one of the most polarizing players in the NFL. New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. is officially done for the season after breaking his ankle Sunday. With injuries galore, this week’s waiver wire is shaping up to be the most important of the year.

The wire is packed with running backs that can provide both immediate and season long fantasy impact. At the top of the list is Aaron Jones. The Green Bay rookie was called to action this past Sunday with the injury to starter Ty Montgomery. Jones took full advantage, rushing 19 times for 125 yards and a touchdown. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said after the game that Jones has undoubtedly “earned more opportunities”, making him the number one pick-up this week. While this backfield is likely going to turn into a committee with the inevitable return of Montgomery, no one knows for sure when that will be. Therefore, Jones remains the lead back of the Packers offense and is a must-start if Montgomery remains sidelined for Week 6.

Jerick McKinnon of the Minnesota Vikings came out Monday night and silenced Latavius Murray supporters. McKinnon out-touched Murray 22-9, rushing 16 times for 95 yards and a score while adding six catches for 51 yards. McKinnon proved that this will be his backfield moving forward, making him another must-add at the RB slot.

With a depleted New York Jets backfield, rookie back Elijah McGuire is set up for a heavy workload this coming week against New England. With Matt Forte week-to-week and Bilal Powell not expected to play, McGuire has a stranglehold on the Jets backfield in a plus matchup against the Patriots. With several starting running backs on byes, McGuire is one of the best fill-in plays of the week.

For those who are running back desperate, Wayne Gallman of the New York Giants may be the answer. With Odell Beckham and Brandon Marshall out for the year, and Sterling Shepard in a walking boot after Sunday, the Giants suddenly have the thinnest wide-out corps in the NFL. Leaving them with no choice but to run the ball. Anticipate a heavy workload for Gallman in a tough matchup against the Denver Broncos in Week 6.