Mayor Byron Brown wins democratic primary likely sealing mayoral win

Buffalo+State+alum+Mayor+Byron+Brown+won+Buffalo%27s+democratic+primary.+
Buffalo State alum Mayor Byron Brown won Buffalo's democratic primary.

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

At a makeshift block party on Franklin St. and Court St., with City Hall towering behind him, Mayor Byron Brown took center stage to give his celebratory speech.

This is a special time in our city’s history and we are going to continue the work we started together to all rise higher… it is onward to November another tremendous opportunity to bring our message to all the people of the city: Buffalo is in a far better shape today than it has been in decades,” Brown said.

Despite the efforts of Mark J. Schroeder and Betty Jean Grant to oust Byron W. Brown as Mayor of Buffalo, Brown won the Democratic Primary. The voter turnout was low. Brown received 13, 346 votes, equaling 51 percent, compared to Schroeder with 36 percent, and Grant receiving only 13 percent.

Brown is now shifting his focus to winning the General Election. In all likelihood, this will be an easy victory for Brown, given there is no Republican opponent on the Ballot.

Although Schroeder took a hit with the loss of the Democratic Primary, his name will still appear on the Ballot for the general elections, under the Reform Party.

If Brown wins the election, it will be Brown’s fourth term as Mayor, something that has only ever happened once before in the history of Buffalo.