Grant wins USG election in nine vote landslide

Terron+Grant+

Photo submitted

Terron Grant

Staff Reports

Sophomore business major Terron Grant won the seat of USG President Wednesday in a landslide victory. Of the 15 votes cast, Grant brought in a whopping nine votes, while his opponents Filipe Yanez and Derek Jorden garnered three votes each.

“I’m really happy the Buffalo State student community showed up at the polls to support me,” Grant said. “It means a lot to know my message resonated with the student body.”

Grant is currently a USG senator and won Senator of the Year in 2014. He credits his dedication and love for leading as the reason he received 60 percent of the vote.

“People who knew there was an election today understood my vision for Buffalo State. My grassroots campaign worked because people are fed up with the status quo and want change. That’s what I offered,” Grant said. “I told a few people, and they each told a few people, and that was pretty much it. I won.”

Derek Jorden said he congratulated his opponent immediately after the results were announced.

“He ran a great campaign,” Jorden said. “To be honest, nobody was expecting this kind of turnout. I think the fact that he was able to connect with so many students has a lot to do with why over 14 students turned out to vote in the first place.”

Grant will give his acceptance speech this Thursday at 12:30 p.m. in the Campbell Student Union Assembly Hall. Students are asked to arrive at least 30 seconds early for preferred seating.