Women’s basketball bounced by Fredonia, 80-61

Dave DeLuca/The Record

With the loss on Friday, Buffalo State becomes mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

Emmanuel Rodriguez, Staff Writer

The Lady basketball Bengals (6-14 overall, 3-10 SUNYAC) headed to Fredonia for their first Battle by the Lake this season Saturday night. The Bengals shot 40 percent from beyond the arc to the Blue Devils’ 38, however, Fredonia led in nearly every other statistical category and emerged victorious, 81-60.

Early on, it seemed like more of the same for the Bengals as they trailed 9-2 in the first, but the Bengals went on a quick run and cut the deficit down to one halfway into the first quarter. After the first ten minutes, Fredonia led 21-17.

In the second quarter, the Blue Devils missed 12 free throws but the Bengals could not capitalize as they were outscored in the latter quarter of the first half, 18-11. Going into the locker room, Fredonia led 39-28.

The Bengals showed some tenacity as they tried to comeback starting the second half. Despite cutting the lead down to eight, the Blue Devils shifted into the next gear and pulled away. The Blue Devils led by as much as 25 at one point in the fourth.

Sophomore forward Princella McCullough led the Lady Bengals in scoring Saturday. McCullough had 19 points and 14 rebounds, recording yet another double-double. Junior forward Mariah Rosario added 15 points and added seven boards. Senior guard Taylor Graham had 12 points. The Californian also added three dimes to her 12 points.

Fredonia guard Alexis Cheatham had 21 points in her team’s victory and added five assists. Forward Jenna Einink added 13 points and swingman Khee Nance added 10 points.

The next time the Buffalo State Bengals take the hardwood floor will be in the month of February. They will travel to Oneonta on Friday, Feb. 3 to take on the Red Dragons (12-7, 9-3). Earlier this season, Oneonta defeated the Bengals, 69-57, in Buffalo.

Twitter: @E_Rodriguez_24