Bengals skate by Chatham, 9-3

Dave DeLuca/The Record

Buffalo State got its first points against Plattsburgh on Saturday in 33 meetings.

Andrew David Kuczkowski, Sports Editor

The Buffalo State women’s hockey team (12-5-1 overall, 7-4 ECAC West) started January off with a commanding five-game winning streak until falling to Cortland on Jan. 20. Though the streak looks to be back up and running. Buffalo State makes it two in a row after the 9-3 victory over Chatham University of Pittsburgh, Pa. (5-12-1, 0-10-1) Friday in conference play.

Statistically, the game looked to be a tight one. However, senior Justina Silva stood on her head as she neutralized 92.1 percent of the shots she took.

Junior Bri Carroll opened the game just 1:44 into the first period. Junior Erin Gehen matched that with two of her own, one is a power play. Chatham’s Michelle Jones scored a goal. The Bengals held a lead of 3-1 to end the first.

In the second, a pair of power play goals added one to each team’s score. The Bengals’ junior Rachel Lenard and the Cougars’ Kristina Block were awarded the goals. Chatham took the momentum ending the middle period with a second goal by Jones a 1:59 after Block’s goal.

Buffalo State buckled down in the final period with back-to-back-to-back quick goals by freshman Natasha Steinle, 1:52 into the third, junior Missy Mallon, 2:42, and Carroll, 4:06. The Bengals tacked on two more shorthanded goals by junior Christine Harris and junior Caitie Horvatits in the final minute.

Though the scoreboard was one-sided, the stat categories were much of the same. In total shots, Buffalo State won by three, 41-38 and Chatham had six power plays, scoring once, compare to the Bengals’ four, scoring twice. The face offs were the defining number in Buffalo State’s favor, 40-27.

The win is the first of two this weekend against Chatham. Buffalo State will play again Saturday, Jan. 28 with faceoff at around 2:30 p.m. The Bengals will return home to host Neumann Friday, Feb. 3 at 7 p.m.

Final line:

Rachel Lenard: 1 goal, 3 assist, 1 PPG

Bri Carroll: 2 goals, 1 assist

Erin Gehen: 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 PPG

Natasha Steinle: 1 goal, 1 assist

Christine Harris: 1 goal, 1 assist

Viivi Vaattovaara: 2 assists

Missy Mallon: 1 goal

Caitie Hornvatits: 1 goal

Madeline Kromer: 1 assist

Heather Neuburger: 1 assist

Jessica Carter: 1 assist

Goaltender:

Justine Silva: 60 minutes, 35 saves, .921 save percentage, 3 goals against