Carillo continues shutout streak, Bengals sweep

Dave DeLuca/The Reocrd

Junior midfielder Breanna Knight and the Bengals are first in the SUNYAC (6-1-2, 2-0 SUNYAC)

Emmanuel Rodriguez, Reporter

The Buffalo State Women’s soccer team opened up SUNYAC play by going 2-0 and extending its win streak to four.

Freshman goalkeeper posted two more shutouts and has now not allowed a goal in 349 minutes and 55 seconds.

“She’s a very good goalkeeper in practice. She’s very hard on herself on and off the field,” said senior forward Melissa Smith of the freshman goalkeeper. “She had a big role to fill, being a freshman in a key spot. Our back line is doing a great job shutting down the offensive attack and Taylor’s doing a great job picking up what the defense lets through.”

Head coach Nick DeMarsh also praised Carillo’s efforts.

“She’s playing well and showing good composure for a first year player,” he said, “but she comes to us with loads of experience. We’re also not allowing many shots. Most of our games, we’re keeping the shots below 10.”

After the Bengals’ home opener, a 3-0 victory over the D’Youville Spartans, they headed to Geneseo to take on the Knights on Friday.

The Bengals outshot the Knights in the first half, 6-1, but sophomore goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski and the Knights were able to keep the ball out of the net and went into the half tied at 0.

In the 53rd minute, however, Smith broke through for her fifth goal of the season to give the Bengals the 1-0 lead.

Even though Buffalo State had 11 shots in the second half, Smith’s goal was the only tally of the game as the Bengals defeated the Knights, 1-0.

The Bengals led the Knights in shots, 17-8 (9-3 on goal). The Bengals also had seven corner kicks to Geneseo’s five.

“For us, we play with high pressure and press most of the game, which usually keeps the ball on their end of the field,” Smith said.

On Saturday, they traveled to Brockport to take on the Golden Eagles.

Although the Bengals outshot the Golden Eagles 11-3 in the first half, they were unable to capitalize and for a second straight week entered halftime in a scoreless draw.

The Bengals domination continued in the second half, but they struggled to get the numbers on the shot column to correspond on the scoreboard.

That was until Smith found senior Catherine Mammoser in the 77th minute to give the Bengals the 1-0 advantage. It was Mammoser’s third goal of the season.

For the second time in as many days, that was the only tally of the game. The Bengals defeated the Golden Eagles, 1-0

“It feels pretty good. We still have a long way to go, but we’re finally coming together,” Smith said. “Hopefully, we can keep it up for the rest of the season”.

Brockport senior goalkeeper Daniele Ogrodowski singlehandedly kept her team in the game. She had 14 saves. The Bengals led the shot count once again as they outshot Brockport 23-7 (15-5 on goal).

The recent stretch of games has led to the Bengals going unbeaten in four straight games.

“We’re in good form and the team is enjoying the fruits of our labor,” DeMarsh said. “My message getting off the bus on Saturday was that we can play better and we must stay hungry.”

Next on the schedule for the Bengals (6-1-2/2-0-0) is the Fredonia Blue Devils (2-7-0/0-2-0) on Saturday, Oct. 1 at Coyer Field.

Twitter: @E_Rodriguez_24