Controversial call takes away goal, Bengals draw

Emmanuel Rodriguez, Reporter

Buffalo State women’s soccer team traveled to Schenectady, NY on Saturday to take on Union College. The contest between the Bengals and the Dutchwomen ended in a 1-1 draw.

In the 21st minute, senior Catherine Mammoser crossed the ball in and fellow senior Melissa Smith was able to head it into the back of the net for an early lead. It was Smith’s fourth goal in six games this season.

“I’ve played with Cat at Pitt-Bradford before we both came to Buff State, and I know how she plays,” Smith said. “I saw the goalie come out, and no one was on me, so I just directed the ball to the corner.”

However, two minutes after the Smith header, the referee annulled a second Bengals’ goal.

“It was pretty bad,” said DeMarsh of the call.

The missed call by the referees would prove costly for the Bengals as the Dutchwomen were able to draw things up in the 30th minute as freshman Marika Contompasis was able to send in her own header past Bengals freshman goalkeeper Taylor Carillo on a cross from fellow freshman Morgan Dominick.

During the second half, the two teams combined for 10 shots. However, no one was able to capitalize and they headed to extra time still locked up at one. During the extra time periods, the Bengals had two shots, one shot each. The Bengals were unable to capitalize and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

“Honestly, we outplayed them and should’ve won,” Smith said. “We have a whole new offensive line. We had a few injuries early in the season. Some of us are starting to slowly come back in time for SUNYACs.”

It wasn’t just Smith that believed that.

“We outplayed them,” said DeMarsh. “We played well. We outplayed them and we won in every statistical category.”

Buffalo State took 13 shots, seven on goal, while Union took six shots, four on goal. Carillo had three saves in net for the Bengals while sophomore Kelsey Hartsoe had six saves for the Dutchwomen.

After a home-opener against the D’Youville Spartans (4-1-1), the Bengals (3-1-2) will open SUNYAC conference play in back-to-back games on Friday, Sept. 23 at the Geneseo Knights (2-0-3) and on Saturday, Sept. 24 at Brockport Eagles (3-1-1).

Twitter: @E_Rodriguez_24