Women take first in 4×100 at Sparky Adams Invitational

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior jazlyn Porter ran a leg of the Buffalo State meet-winning 4x100 meter dash.

Buffalo State Sports Information

Buffalo State Sports Information

Buffalo State Sports Information

Emmanuel Rodriguez, Reporter

The outdoor track season was set to begin on April 2, but inclement weather postponed the first two meets. On Saturday, in just their second meet, the Buffalo State track and field team made a trip to Berea, Ohio, where the Sparky Adams Invitational took place on the campus of Baldwin Wallace University.

Sophomore sprinter Robert Liebel ran a 10.89 in the 100-meter dash, placing fourth right behind teammate freshman sprinter and jumper Mike Roach. Liebel also ran the 200-meter dash in 22.14, placing second, while Roach placed in fifth in the 200-meter, clocking in at 22.40.

“I feel like I performed well in the 100; it was the fastest time I ever ran,” Liebel said. “But I was disappointed in my 200-meter time; I think I could have ran faster.”

Freshman jumper Robert Alexis had a mark of 12.84m in the triple jump, good for fourth place.

The highlight on the men’s side was freshman jumper and sprinter Javon Biggs placing first in the long jump event (6.71m). In his first ever attempt at long jump, sophomore Jamie Mullings placed third (6.42m).

“I’m pretty satisfied. For my first time, coming in third isn’t bad, but it’s weird because I’m not used to anything but first place,” said Mullings.

“I’m really happy for Javon” said Mullings of his teammate. “He’s a very talented athlete. He’ll surprise you with every jump.”

The men’s team finished in sixth place out of seven teams.

“The team performed well. It was really cold and windy, so that was a challenge” said Liebel, “but everybody did fine and it didn’t really affect the times in a negative way.”

Meanwhile, on the women’s team, the quartet of Jazlyn Porter, Dayonna Holmes, Shuntone Pricher and Niasha Houpe won the 4×100-meter dash in a blinding 47.67 seconds, breaking the facility record and posting the seventh-fastest time in D-III thus far this season.

In addition to her 4×100-meter dash victory, Porter also emerged victorious in the 200-meter dash, clocking in at 25.31. Holmes finished right behind her in second place clocking in at 25.75.

Holmes also ended up in third place in the 100-meter dash event, finishing at 12.64.

Senior sprinter Sasa Vann continued to add to her achievements as she won the 400-meter dash at 58.89. Houpe and Kayla McLean finished in fourth and fifth place in the same event, clocking in at 1:00.31 and 1:00.35, respectively.

Treasure Glymph finished in second place in the triple jump (10.95m). Seland Chaplin finished in fifth place (10.23m).

Glymph also placed fifth in the high jump (1.54m).

Sophomore thrower Tianna Gillenwater competed in the shot put competition and the New Rochelle product placed third (11.40m).

The women finished in fourth place out of 11 competing teams.

Next on the schedule for the Bengals is a trip to St. John Fisher College on April 30.

email: rodriguez.record@outlook.com
Twitter: @E_Rodriguez_24