Bryson Tiller, other acts confirmed for USG’s Springfest

Photo by Carlos Campos

After some deliberation, Bryson Tiller (above) has been confirmed to be headlining Springfest on April 28.

Dave DeLuca, Executive Editor

Rap act Bryson Tiller will headline a Springfest 2016 lineup that also includes Russ, A Boogie and OPENCEAZN, the United Students Government announced Friday.

The Record reported last week that USG sent out a performance contract to Tiller weeks ago, but USG was still waiting for the agreement to be signed to guarantee the April 28 booking.

Tickets are on sale now for $5 for Buffalo State students. General admission tickets are $30 and will go on sale April 25. Tickets are available at the Rockwell Hall box office. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m., with the concert scheduled to begin at 8 p.m.

“It’s what the people asked for,” USG President Derek Jorden said. “We surveyed a lot of people, many of them wanted Bryson Tiller.”

USG’s Springfest announcement came less than two weeks before the scheduled show. In the past, USG has made the announcement nearly a month in advance. In comparison, University at Buffalo’s Student Association announced its Springfest lineup of Mac Miller, The Chainsmokers and Coleman Hell back on March 21. Brockport’s United Students Government shared to students its headliner, Fetty Wap, on March 10.

“We have no control over that,” Jorden said. “We didn’t get the contract from the artist until late. We were being told they were coming, but we needed it on paper.”

Tiller, the self-proclaimed creator of the “trapsoul” sound/genre, released his debut album called “T R A P S O U L” last fall. Record music critic Vincent Nguyen reviewed the 14-track album in October.

His song “Don’t,” has gained over 97 million views on YouTube. Other popular songs include “Exchange,” “Sorry Not Sorry,” and “Right My Wrongs.”