RIT Tigers top women’s lacrosse, 15-9

Buffalo State Sports Information

Sophomore attacker Alanna Herne leads the SUNYAC in goals (21).

Louie DiBiase, Reporter

The Buffalo State women’s lacrosse team had their home-opener spoiled by the RIT Tigers (2-3) in a 15-9 loss Thursday afternoon.

The loss is the third in the last four matches. Buffalo State has dropped to 2-4 on the still-young season.

Head coach Lindsay Abbott pointed out a few miscues which cost the Bengals the game.

“We had some difficulties winning the draws, and that is crucial in our game, being able to possess the ball,” Abbott said. “Our offense needed to practice more patience and I thought the defense had to lock down a little bit more.”

Buffalo State was nine of 26 on draws, roughly 34%.

After taking an early lead thanks to a goal from senior attacker Sarah Lorusso, RIT answered back only a minute later to tie it up.

Lorusso took the lead back for Buffalo State after scoring her 12th goal of the year, good enough for third on the team.

Buffalo State would keep a 4-3 lead until the 14th minute when RIT scored back-to-back goals.

It was a game which featured both teams exchanging many offensive opportunities, but unfortunately for Buffalo State, RIT was able to take a commanding 10-6 lead at halftime.

Sophomore attacker Alanna Herne was able to keep Buffalo State in the game, scoring four goals on the day. Herne now has 21 goals and 15 assists this year for a combined 36 points. She now leads the SUNYAC in goals and is third in goals-per-game.

After cutting the lead to three, RIT quickly took away any possible comeback by Buffalo State taking back the four-point lead.

A late surge was not enough for Buffalo State as the Tigers took it by a final score of 15-9.

Buffalo State was again outshot 28-23, but did limit the turnovers to only 15.

Buffalo State now readies for a road trip to Florida as they take on Farmingdale State (1-3) and Williams University (2-1) next week.

Twitter: @DiBiSportsTalk