Women’s lacrosse: Bengals split, Herne shines

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Alanna Herne led the
Bengals with 15 points this weekend.

Sophomore Alanna Herne led the Bengals with 15 points this weekend.

Buffalo State Sports Information

Buffalo State Sports Information

Buffalo State Sports Information

Louie DiBiase, Reporter

Only three games into the season, the Buffalo State women’s lacrosse team (1-2) is still trying to find its identity.

After starting off the season with a 16-7 loss against Union College (1-0), Buffalo State was able to split its two games in Utica, defeating the Utica Pioneers (1-1), 17-11, but then falling to the Albright Lions (3-2) in a 11-9 outing.

Coach Lindsay Abbott had three main takeaways from the start to the season that will be important in the team’s ability to sustain success on a consistent basis.

“We need to keep our composure, demonstrate discipline, and show more patience,” Abbott said. “We have the tools we need, so the biggest thing right now is to try and fix all of the small details.”

Capitalizing on opportunities was the biggest factor in Buffalo State’s first win of the regular season against Utica. On only 20 shots, Buffalo State was able to score 17 goals.

The Bengals were able to get many players involved. Sophomore midfielder Christina Krowel led the way with five goals and two assists. Sophomore attacker Alanna Herne was another player who was able to have success against Utica scoring four goals while tallying five assists.

For her efforts, Herne was named SUNYAC Women’s lacrosse offensive player of the week.

She feels the team’s chemistry is still a work in progress, but is growing each game.

“Our team chemistry is improving and is changing our game each day,” Herne said. “We are learning more about each other so each game can only improve the chemistry. We are trying to fix the little things that help us change the big moments in each game.”

Goaltending was also a strength for Buffalo State. Sophomore goalkeeper Elyse Stark made 14 saves on 25 shots. Stark was crucial to the victory as Utica outshot Buffalo State 34-27 overall, and had a 25-20 advantage in shots on goal.

Seven players were able to score for Buffalo State against Utica. Getting everyone involved early on is crucial to the team’s success.

Stark spoke about some things the team needs to work on as well as how well the team can connect on and off the field.

“We need to work on possessing the ball and making smarter decisions overall,” she said. “However, I do think that we really connect on the field. Once we start communicating and understanding each other, the game plays a lot smoother.”

Against Albright, Buffalo State showed resiliency after facing a 7-4 deficit heading into the intermission.

The Bengals were able to tie the game up at nine thanks to four goals from senior attacker Sarah Lorusso.

She is second on the team in goals and third in points with eight goals and 10 points total.

Lorusso has high expectations for the team this season and feels that this team could take a big step forward.

“We are all on the same page as to what we want to accomplish this season and work towards it every day,” she said. “I think our transition will be strong this season, and if we keep our composure for a full 60 minutes and limit the turnovers, it will really make a difference in games.”

The Lions were able to pull away with a little over seven minutes to go as they took a 10-9 lead.

Buffalo State was unable to tie it back up after Albright scored another goal with two minutes to go.

Shots were 31-24 in favor of Albright, the third straight game in which Buffalo State was outshot.

Turnovers held back Buffalo State in a big way as they finished with 16 turnovers against Albright.

Factors like turnovers and winning more draws are the exact kind of details that Coach Abbott is hoping to improve upon heading into this week’s matchups.

Buffalo State goes on the road Wednesday March 9 to take on SUNYAC rival St. John Fisher (2-0).

email: dibiase.record@outlook.com