Women’s basketball ends up-and-down season on a high note with OT win

Taylor Moran, Reporter

The Buffalo State women’s basketball team brought the five S’s to its final game of the season on Saturday in a 63-62 overtime win against Oneonta .

Coming fresh off a hard-fought 73-67 loss against one of the best teams in the conference in New Paltz, the Bengals bounced back to close out their season on a high note.

The Hawks took the lead within the first eight minutes of the game, but the Bengals came back, ending the first quarter with tied with New Paltz at 16 after a jumper from sophomore guard Caleh McLean.

After going into halftime down by a slim margin of 32-30, the team spent much of the third quarter battling back and forth with New Paltz.

Buffalo State held a 49-48 lead briefly in the final quarter, but was not able to take the lead again after a 3-point shot from New Paltz served as the dagger in Buffalo State’s heart.

Senior forward Jordan Yastremski led the Bengals in points in Friday’s game with a total of 12 points and 14 rebounds.

Edwards added 12 points and nine rebounds while senior guard Britt Perry finishing with 10 points and six rebounds.

Determined to end their season strong, the ladies took the court on Saturday against Oneonta and defeated the team in over time.

“The first half was lacking energy, very slow, “ said head coach Kevin Clifford. “But the second half picked up for us. Low scoring, but it was a close game, so it was exciting, and then it went into overtime.”

Saturday, Buffalo State got off to a quick start.

“Everyone came out strong and ready to play, I think especially for myself and other seniors it was emotional,” Perry said, “but I came out determined. I said, ‘I can’t lose today and I will do whatever is necessary so we don’t lose.’”

Both teams battled neck –and-neck throughout the game, but with help of Perry, who led the team with 19 points as well as five assists, and Edwards, who also had 11 points, the Bengals were able to come out on top.

Forward Krystal Watson contributed 11 points while McLean had 10 points.

Buffalo State was pleased to be able to end the game and the season with a win, sending their seniors off on senior night with their heads held high.

The Bengals were not able to secure a playoff sport, however they are already looking to next season.

“We are going to do workouts twice a week and pick-up games still. We’re going to try to do whatever we can do for next season,” Edwards said.