Bengals best Oswego to win third straight

Dave Deluca/ The Record

Edwards recorded 29 points and 12 rebounds to guide the Bengals over Oswego on Saturday.

Taylor Moran, Reporter

On Friday, the Buffalo State women’s basketball team started off the weekend on fire as they took the court against Cortland, and got off to a quick 14-5 lead in the first quarter. Cortland pushed back, but Buffalo State was able to hold on to a late lead to secure a 63-60 road win.

Then on Saturday at Oswego, the Bengals overcame a late three-point deficit in the final three minutes to steal a 67-66 win over the Lakers to extend their win streak to three.

The Bengals improved to 9-12 (5-9 SUNYAC,) but are still on the outside looking in at a playoff spot. They currently sit at eighth in the conference with just four games left to play in the regular season.

“Cortland is a tough team, they’re well coached,” head coach Kevin Clifford said. “We played them in the beginning of the season at home and lost, so to come back and win was good. The girls showed a lot of fight and a lot of drive in the game.”

Senior guard Britt Perry led the team with 23 points, four assists, and three steals. She went an almost-perfect 9 of 10 at the free throw line.

Sophomore Caleh McLean contributed 11 points, and sophomore Keyonte Edwards added 10 points, also scoring 10 rebounds to manage a double-double.

The Bengals carried the momentum into Saturday’s game at Oswego.

Buffalo State played a high-energy game as they battled neck-and-neck throughout the game with Oswego. They trailed for much of the first quarter, but were able to battle back in the second.

“After having a big game on Friday night, you don’t want to get too high coming off a win the night before. It was senior night for them, so they came out taking a lot of shots,” Clifford said. “The first quarter, they (Oswego) were up 25-16, but the girls were able to come back and win the second and third quarter.”

As the game pushed on, Perry was able to continue to lead the team with 22 points and nine rebounds before netting the game-winning free throw.

The Bengals were able to keep the energy up as Oswego kept the game close, but the ladies were determined to finish the game strong. Edwards added 19 points, and 12 boards for her fourth straight double-double, her eighth on the season.

Senior Clarisa Matias also contributed to the scoreboard, adding 14 points for the ladies.

“Our team never gave up”, Clifford said.“ I was proud of the team the whole weekend with the effort they gave, and coming back the second game against Oswego, they played really well.”