Design majors showcase their class exhibitions

Annaliza Guard, Reporter

Students majoring in design at SUNY Buffalo State learned to do it all this semester.

Those who took DES 414 Seminar created exhibitions to display their work entirely on their own.

Gerald Mead, who is a lecturer at Buffalo State, made it a requirement for his students to create an exhibit on or off campus.

These exhibits would display work from the semester and provide them with first-hand experience in all aspects of a career in design. This included preparing and maintaining their portfolio as well as marketing their work, seeking and applying for a location for their exhibition, installing their work, and promoting their exhibition.

Students’ exhibits included phone case designs, textiles, jewelry, floral arrangements, and more.

The exhibits were spread across the area. Some are as close as the Circulation Gallery in the E.H. Butler Library or as far as Niagara Falls and North Tonawanda.

By presenting their own work to the public, Mead wanted students to gain experience in balancing the roles of the designer, curator, event planner, and promoter.

In a recent news release, Mead expressed how impressed he was with the creativity and diversity of the exhibitions.

These exhibitions were open in November:

* Eclectic Enclosures: Phone Case Design by Nathan James Palczynski

* Prismatic Saturation: Textile Works by Emily Beresford

* Silver and Sawdust: Jewelry Store Rebrand by Heather Lee Whitehead

* Refreshed and Rearranged: New Branding for Harris and Lever Florist by Genna Antonia

* Altered Environments: Video Projections by Trever McConnell

* A Moonlit Meadow: An Illustrated Children’s Book by Jenny Lipka

* Elemental Enemies: Character Illustrations by Kyle Maurer

* Theatrical Persona: Bar Branding for Matinee by Devin Jeffrey

* Homefield Identity: Redesigned NFL Logos by Patrick Martin

* Athletic Aesthetic: Poster Designs by Sean Pantling

* 2029: Illustrations by Dylan Goodsell