Veterans Day-themed exhibit honors fallen American troops

Dalton Patterson/The Record

The exhibit had library books, photos and mementos from various US wars.

Joe Morganti, Reporter

SUNY Buffalo State presented a Veterans Day exhibit in honor of Veterans Day. The exhibit, “War: It’s Real, It’s Personal, It’s Lasting,” was displayed in the E. H Butler Library Lobby.

The exhibit displayed library books depicting wars the United States has been involved in, as well as pictures and mementos from different staff members’ personal experiences.

Several students from SUNY Buffalo State saw the Veterans Day exhibit. Duy Van, a freshman at Buffalo State who visited the exhibit, was asked about his thoughts on the exhibit.

“I thought the exhibit was very informative,” Van said. “Although I thought the exhibit could’ve been a bit larger, I believe Veterans Day needs to be a must recognized holiday in order to honor all of the men that have died for this country.”

William Tutuska a freshman at SUNY Buffalo State was asked about what his family tradition for Veterans Day is.

“My grandfather was in the Navy so we typically will go out and celebrate the day with him. Other than that I usually will talk to people about the Veterans Against Vietnam movement simply because I find it interesting.”

Veterans were not only honored at Buffalo State, but all around Buffalo.

Veterans were honored before the Buffalo Bills game on Nov. 8 and before the Buffalo Sabres game on Nov. 6.

Staff Sergeant Timothy Payne, who lost both of his legs in Afghanistan, led the celebration of Veterans Day during the game by dropping the opening puck before the game started. Payne stated that he became a veteran due to the fact his older brother became a marine.

Armistice Day, now Veterans Day, became a legal federal holiday in the United States on May 13, 1938. It was enacted in order to mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiegne, France, for the lowering of weapons on the Western Front of World War I. It took effect at 11 a.m. on November 11.

Following the aftermath of World War II and the Korean War, Armistice Day became Veterans Day, which is a holiday dedicated to American veterans of all wars.

Veterans Day is today. Buffalo State students have off of school for the holiday in order for people to give thanks to veterans.