#WeigelWord: We’re in the Homestretch!

Lexxy Durant

Welcome back from spring break! We hope that you all enjoyed your time off. With the end of the semester just around the corner, crunch time is upon us. This is the time of year that students realize how much more they have to do and how little time is really left. So here are a few things to keep in mind and help you get through the home stretch.

Time management – As the end of the semester approaches, it’s important to keep in mind that assignments will start to pile up. Unfortunately this happens right around finals season. Practicing good time management skills can ease that burden and reduce your overall stress. Start each day by making a list of the things you need to accomplish. Include everything from assignments to laundry, being as thorough as possible. Next, write the numbers 1, 2, and 3 next to each task, with 1 being absolutely essential and 3 being something that can be done another day. Check off what you have completed at the end of the day so you can see that you really have accomplished something. Do not move to the next task until you have completed the previous task. If you didn’t get to the 2’s or 3’s, roll them over to the next day and consider bumping them to a higher priority.

Stress – How you manage your stress can make or break how successful you are as you finish out the semester. Stress affects every single system in the body. It can lead to sleep problems, changes in appetite, and digestive issues, and compromises your ability to fight off disease (don’t we always seem to get sick during mid-terms and finals?!). For a quick fix in a stress-provoking situation, try inhaling for 5 seconds, holding it for 5 seconds, then exhaling for 5 seconds. Repeat this exercise 3-5 times. Spend some time talking to a friend or someone you trust, and don’t forget to treat yourself! If you find yourself struggling, make an appointment with the Counseling Center here on campus. Many people find that talking to a neutral party, even if it is just about the little stressors in life, can really help them work through their anxieties. The Counseling Center is located in the Weigel Health Center, the number is 878-4436, and it’s free for all students! Weigel Health Promotions offers workshops including stress and time management (any student or group and request one online) and also collaborates with USG and Student Life for Relaxation Night which will take place in May.

Eat healthy – It’s easy to forget about taking care of our bodies while we have a million other things to worry about, but your physical health is something you should consider. When spending hours on homework or running to classes, it can become second-nature to grab something from the vending machine for lunch or chug a Red Bull to stay awake. Although these seem like insignificant choices, they can really take a toll on your body. Try to plan lunches ahead of time if you know you are going to be in a rush. Subs and sandwiches keep well overnight (just don’t forget them when you leave in the morning!). If you are looking to stay awake, try a cup of hot tea instead of one of those famous energy drinks. Trust me, your body will thank you. Lastly, remember to drink plenty of water as you go about your day. Investing in a cool water bottle and tossing it in your backpack makes getting those 8 glasses a day super easy.

Physical activity – If you haven’t been to the fitness center in Houston 230, you’ve got to check it out. It features state of the art equipment and staff who can help people of all fitness levels. It is completely free for students to use. You can even sign up for sessions with a personal trainer by calling 878-3815. If you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed, getting exercise is a great way to work through those negative thoughts. Even if you don’t have time for the fitness center, a brisk walk will get your heart pumping and clear your mind. Physical activity is known to reduce stress and anxiety and even improve creativity. Buffalo State also offers a ton of intramural sports teams that anyone can get involved in. Weigel Health Center offers a Health and Activity program which you can learn more about online.

Sleep – Adults should get 7-9 hours of sleep every night. To get the rest you need, try to go to bed and wake up around the same times each day, and make yourself a routine to follow at bedtime. To get your body to recognize that it’s time to rest, make the room dark and turn off the television. Put your cell phone on silent (seriously, not even vibrate!). Changes in light and sound from a TV or phone notifications (I’m looking at you, Facebook) disturb your natural sleep rhythms. If you have a noisy roommate, try sleeping with a fan or some sort of white-noise to drown them out a bit (they have apps for that). Sleeping with earbuds and headphones could be dangerous in the event of an emergency. Also remember to avoid caffeine at least 2 hours before bed. Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial for your body as it fights off infections and stores all that information you learned in class.

Do Your Part, be healthy, and good luck! #weigelword
Lexxy Durant,
Peer Educator, Weigel Health Promotions

Weigel Health Promotions is located in the basement of Porter Hall and provides prevention through education for all Buffalo State students. If you would like to get involved or want more information, visit http://weigel.buffalostate.edu/health-promotion or contact: Paula A. Madrigal, Weigel Health Promotions – Wellness & Prevention Coordinator [email protected] 716-878-4719.