Buffalo State hosts grad fair

Eric Bomysoad, Associate Online Editor

The social hall in Campbell Student Union was buzzing with information Thursday, Oct. 21, as undergraduates from all classes filed in to learn more about graduate school programs that are available.

Sixty schools from across New York gathered to inform potential graduate students of what they need to complete in order to enter in to their respective graduate program.

Justin Pierce, a representative from Binghamton University, wanted to educate students on the types of programs and education Binghamton has to offer.

“This is the first step,” he said. “Students can do some critical thinking and understand what a crucial part graduate school can actually play in their lives.”

The process of enrollment into a graduate school program can be overwhelming, and the representatives at the fair were available to answer any questions students may have.

Ariana Blade from Auburn, New York, is a junior studying psychology. She said she hoped to find a school in state, where she could obtain her master’s degree in psychology. Blade explained how each state has different entrance requirements or tests that students may be expected to take, and said she preferred to stay somewhere close.

Aside from the cost of graduate school, the entrance exams were the most popular concern of potential students.

The entrance exam into graduate school is intimidating on its own merit, leaving students concerned about whether or not they did well enough to be accepted. Kaplan Test Prep offers students a chance to take a practice exam for free, before paying for the actual exam.

Keith Ryan, a representative from the Kaplan Test Prep organization, encourages all students to take a practice exam before attempting the real thing.

“This is a great opportunity for students that are considering taking these exams,” he said.

Through Kaplan, students are able to take a practice GRE, MCAT or LCAT at no cost to them, and will receive their scores on the exam right away.

“It can help students know where they stand with the exam, and know where they need to focus their attention,” he said.

For more information about the practice exams or information on the graduate school process, visit kaptest.com/GRE.