Buffalo State Pep Rally 2014-15

Ronnie Ocampo/BSCTV

Lucy Lopez, Culture Editor

The music started and The Plaza flooded.

Students leaving their classes stopped to see what was happening. A stage covered in festive black and orange took the spotlight, housed in the middle of The Plaza, also known as the Student Union quad.

Despite the sudden drop in temperature, the “Go Bengals!” energy resonated throughout the gathering crowd. Seeing lots of comfy sweaters and layering pieces, students must have been happy with their fall-themed wardrobe choices that morning.

SUNY Buffalo State’s Orange Crush Homecoming pep rally, held during Bengal Pause on Thursday, Sept. 18, filled The Plaza with school spirit.

Senior journalism major Colleen Young hosted the day’s festivities. All smiles, she took the stage and got the party started.

A parade of all student athletes began, topped off with the football team, who will play Alfred State at 12 p.m. this Saturday.

Campus organizations then paraded across the stage showcasing their banners for the banner competition.

Young took the stage once again and announced there would be free giveaways this week, “I think now’s a good time for T-shirts, don’t you?” she said. “Look up!” Homecoming themed tees cascaded down from the Campbell Student Union balcony, causing a roar throughout the student crowd.

It was time for the performances. Buffalo State cheerleaders did their routine; those lady Bengals really know how to stick it!

President Katherine Conway-Turner gave her welcoming remarks with an energetic presence.

“This is my first homecoming,” she said. “And it’s going to be the best yet!”

USG President Ashleigh Ann Sutherland thanked everyone for attending and mentioned the Chivetta’s chicken barbeque. The line for the barbeque extended across the quad almost all the way back inside the union.

More performances during the pep rally included the lip sync competition and POM Dance Team.

The first lip sync group was the S.P.i.R.i.T. Gospel Choir. Starting slow, then taking off their outer coat layers to reveal 90s inspired flannels tied around the performers’ waists as they broke it down. The second group was the African American Student Organization, AASO. Starting with Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” transitioning into Rihanna, and more songs that completely excited the crowd. The lip sync competition only had two student organizations participating.

“I would’ve liked to have seen more organizations participate. I kept wondering why there weren’t more,” said junior individualized studies major Claris Boateng.

The POM dance team concluded the day’s performances with the radio smash hit “All About That Bass.”

This is just the kick off! Tweet us your homecoming pictures and what you’re excited for next @BSC_Record with the hashtag #OrangeCrush2014.

Twitter: @luciavlopez