Emmanuel Rodriguez
Emmanuel Rodriguez
Sports Editor

Softball on four game skid after losses to Geneseo

Buffalo State lost both matches against SUNYAC foe Geneseo after errors allowed unearned runs to score
Kayla Sterner
Softball loses fourth game in a row.

Buffalo State softball (7-10) lost both games in a doubleheader against SUNY Geneseo (7-13) on Wednesday afternoon. The games were originally scheduled for April 6, but were canceled due to weather.

Izzy Pezdek allowed eight hits and two runs in the circle along with one strikeout and one walk in game one.

Three pitchers shared the circle in game two. Madison Lucas got the start and allowed five hits and six runs, with only three of the runs being earned. Pezdek allowed three hits and three runs in 1.2 innings before Jean Rogers came in and allowed one hit in one inning. Each pitcher had one strikeout.

Game 1, 2-1 L
The first match was low-scoring and tied for a couple of innings before Geneseo scored an unearned run in the bottom of the seventh inning to end the game.

The Bengals first three batters resulted in the first three outs of the first inning, as a ground ball from Mya Hurley with Grace Albano on base turned into a double play to end the inning after Sarah Congelosi struck out looking.

Buffalo State was victim to the double play again in the second inning as Pezdek hit a line drive to the pitcher, who then threw Caitlyn Parsons out at first.

The Bengals got on the board in the top of the third inning to lead 1-0, after a groundout from Albano with bases loaded scored Deme Kellogg, who got on base with a single and moved to second on an error by the Knights.

Geneseo scored an unearned run in the bottom of the fifth after a throwing error to tie the game up at one apiece.

The Bengals left two runners on base in the sixth inning before going three-up, three-down in their final opportunity to score. The Knights scored another unearned run in the bottom of the seventh to win the game, as a throwing error proved to be costly.

Buffalo State had five hits in the game while Geneseo had eight.

Game 2, 9-2 L
The Bengals scored twice in the second inning to hold a brief advantage before the Knights’ offense attacked for seven unanswered runs.

Caitlyn Parsons was 1-of-2 at the plate with a run scored while Kaitlyn Schnitzer was 2-of-3 with an RBI. Hurley was 1-of-3 in the batter’s box with one run scored.

Geneseo scored in the bottom of the first before Buffalo State put up a crooked number in the second inning to lead 2-1. The Bengals did not score for the rest of the game.

The Knights scored three runs in the third inning to lead 4-2, before two unearned runs gave Geneseo a 7-2 lead over BSU.

A home run in the sixth inning from the Knights with a runner on base led to the Bengals being down 9-2, which ended up the final score as a double play in the seventh ended the inning.

Buffalo State had seven hits compared to Geneseo’s nine.

The Bengals return to Buffalo on Saturday for a doubleheader against SUNY Potsdam. First pitch is set for 12 p.m.