Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Buffalo State goes 1-2 to finish off Florida trip

The Buffalo State softball team fell in their first two matches but regrouped to win the third

Buffalo State softball (5-6) struggled on their last day of their spring trip as they lost the first two games to Western New England University and the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh but defeated Kalamazoo College.

The Bengals seemed to lose their footing on both sides of the ball as they allowed 23 runs but only scored eight themselves.

Buffalo State vs. Western New England
Buffalo State was mercied and lost to Western New England, 15-0, in five innings.

Pitcher Madison Lucas (1-3) allowed 10 runs to score in two innings and Jean Rogers allowed three runs to score while Emma Hooftallen allowed two unearned runs in two innings. The Bengals had three hits in 19 at-bats while WNE had 14 hits in 30 plate appearances.

The Golden Bears scored twice in the first inning and once in the second to lead 3-0 over Buffalo State. Mya Hurley had a single and a stolen base in the bottom of the first inning.

Western New England rallied in the third inning and dismantled Buffalo’s pitching as they put up 10 runs on seven hits to take a daunting 13-0 lead over the Bengals. Five Golden Bears were walked and one was hit by the pitch as WNE went through the line up more than once in one inning.

Erin Paolilli had a single in the bottom of the fourth but was left on base. The Golden Bears put up a crooked number and scored two unearned runs in the fifth inning to lead 15-0, which proved to be the final score as the Bengals did not score in the bottom of the inning.

Buffalo State vs. Wisconsin-Oshkosh
The Bengals’ offense was able to find more success in the second game, but they still lost to Wisconsin-Oshkosh (10-0), 6-5.

Buffalo State had eight hits and eight batters were walked but left 10 runners on base throughout the game. Wisconsin-Oshkosh had 11 hits.

The Titans took a 4-0 lead in the first inning as two batters hit triples. The Bengals responded with five runs of their own in the second inning to lead 5-4.

Samantha Kelly singled with bases loaded to bring in a run and Kenzie Scott did the same. Hurley hit a single down the line to score Sam Schafer and then Kelly came home on a single from Izzy Pezdek.

The game was tied up at five a piece in the bottom of the fifth inning as the Titans managed another run. Wisconsin-Oshkosh scored again in the sixth inning to lead 6-5 over Buffalo State, which ended up being the final score as the Bengals only had one hit in the seventh.

Buffalo State vs. Kalamazoo College

After a tough first two games, the Bengals finished the day with a 3-2 win over Kalamazoo.

Buffalo State had six hits and six strikeouts in the match. Pezdek (3-1) struck out five batters and allowed four hits as well as an unearned run in the circle.

Kalamazoo scored in the top of the first and second inning to lead by two but the Bengals brought home two runs in the bottom of the third to tie the game up.

Lexi Quagliana hit a double to get on base and then scored on a single from Sarah Congelosi, who then stole second on the following pitch. Scott singled to the left side to score Congelosi.

Quagliana singled up the middle in the bottom of the seventh and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt, then third on a wild pitch. Grace Albano had a sacrifice fly and Quagliana crossed home plate to secure a walk-off win.

The Bengals return to action April 5 for a double-header against Brockport, in Brockport. First pitch is set for 3pm.