Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Softball edged out in Monday’s double-header

Buffalo State Athletics

After winning the first two games in Florida, the Bengals lost their next two games as their offense did not seem to find a spark.

Buffalo State vs. Framingham State, L 3-2
Buffalo State fell to Framingham State, 3-2, after the Bengals left five runners on base throughout the game.

The Bengals had seven hits and four strikeouts while Framingham had six hits and four strikeouts.

Caitlyn Parsons was 1-of-3 at the plate with one run scored, Mya Hurley was 1-of-3 with a run-batted-in and Grace Albano was 3-of-3 with an RBI.

Framingham State scored first to lead 2-0 until Parsons scored in the top of the fourth inning after Hurley hit a double to trail by one. Parsons hit a single to get on base and was pushed to second on a ground out from Izzy Pezdek.

Framingham brought in a run in the bottom of the fourth and Buffalo State trailed 3-1. Katie Pyszczek singled to the left side in the top of the seventh and Kenzie Scott pinch ran for her. Scott moved to second and third base on wild pitches before she scored on a double from Grace Albano with two outs.

The following batter struck out and the Bengals lost, 3-2.

Buffalo State vs. Amherst College
The second game of the double-header was cut short due to the Bengals being mercied by Amherst College as they were unable to score.

Eight Bengals struck out in 16 at-bats and Lexi Quagliana had the sole hit of the game for Buffalo State, a single up the middle in the second inning.

The Mammoths scored two runs in the second inning to take an advantage and extended their lead over the Bengals to 3-0 in the third inning after a fielder’s choice out allowed a runner to score.

Amherst scored four runs in the top of the fourth inning as four batters were walked and one was hit by the pitch to score two runs before a single scored the other pair. The Bengals went three-up, three-down before the Mammoths scored an unearned run to lead 8-0.

The Bengals struck out, flew out, then grounded out and were “mercied” as the run-rule states the game is over if a team is winning by eight or more runs after five innings.

Six Mammoths were walked while no Bengals were walked.