Head over heels: the new sports team to look out for
View All
Staff Spotlight
Dan Almasi
Dan Almasi
Executive Editor
Survey

What's the worst way to end a semester?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Buffalo State women’s softball opens up spring trip with back-to-back wins

The Bengals shut-out Clarkson University and managed 10 hits against Worcester State.
Buffalo State Athletics

Buffalo State’s softball was in Clement, FL for a week of spring training to get some work in the sun while Buffalo is still seeing snow. The Bengals played two games on St. Patrick’s Day and went 2-0 as they defeated Clarkson University, 3-0, and Worcester State University, 8-6.

Buffalo State v. Clarkson University, 3-0 W
The Bengals’ defense remained strong as they held Clarkson to a goose egg. Pitcher Madison Lucas struck out six batters and only allowed one hit in the win and added a hit for a run-batted-in.

Caitlyn Parsons was two-of-three with a hit and an RBI and scored. Sarah Congelosi was walked once and scored while Mya Hurley was 1-of-3 at the plate and crossed the plate once. Katie Pyszczek was 1-of-1 with an RBI.

Congelosi was walked in the top of the first inning and then stole second base to get into scoring position. Parsons hit a double to right center and Congelosi scored before a single from Lucas sent Parsons home to give Buffalo State a 2-0 lead.

Deme Kellogg singled in the top of the second inning but was left on base. Parsons singled to the left side in the top of the sixth before Kenzie Scott came in to pinch run. Scott was thrown out in a double-play trying to score.

Hurley doubled in the top of the final inning and scored on a single from Pyszczek to go ahead 3-0, which proved to be the final score.

Six batters struck out for the Bengals, but none struck out looking.

Buffalo State v. Worcester State University, 8-6 W
Buffal-O’State’s “luck of the Irish” continued with another win to start their season with two tallies in the left column. The Bengals outlasted Worcester State, 8-6, despite trailing 4-0 at one point.

Pyszczek was 2-of-3 with two hits and an RBI and Kellogg was 1-of-1 with one run scored. Kaitlyn Schnitzer was 1-of-3 at the plate with one run scored while Izzy Pezdek, Hurley, Sydney Shuta and Megan Galbraith each added a run.

The Lancers put up a crooked number to lead 4-0 after the top of the second inning, and their runs scored on error from the Bengals.

Buffalo State responded with three runs in the bottom of the inning to close the gap and trail 4-3. Schnitzer started things off with a double and a single from Hurley pushed her over to third base. Schnitzer scored on a wild pitch and Hurley moved to second before a double from Pyszczek sent Hurley home. Kellogg was walked and runners advanced after a sacrifice bunt from Shula. Galbraith grounded out to the shortstop to score Pyszczek.

Worcester scored two in the top of the sixth, one of which was unearned, and led 6-3 before the Bengals rallied to score five in the bottom of the inning.

Emma Hooftallen singled with bases loaded to knock in two runs and send the remaining runner to second base before a double from Pezdek sent home another pair of runners to take an advantage for the first time in the match. Erin Paolilli singled and Pezdek scored to make it an 8-6 game, which ended up the final score.

Four Lancers struck out while only two Bengals struck out and four Bengals were walked. Buffalo State managed 10 hits and seven RBIs.

Their next games are set for March 18 against Framingham State University and Amherst College. First pitch is set for 12:15 p.m. and 2:45 p.m. and they will play another double-header on Tuesday.