Francesca Bond
Francesca Bond
Executive Editor

Men’s basketball edged out in last two games of the season

Buffalo State Athletics

Men’s basketball lost their final two games of the season to remain winless on the road, and make it the program’s second season in-a-row with just one victory.

The Bengals (1-23, 1-16 SUNYAC) fell to SUNY Cortland (13-11, 10-7 SUNYAC) on Friday, 69-58, and were defeated by No. 4 SUNY Oswego (24-1, 18-0 SUNYAC) on Saturday, 91-53.

Buffalo State vs. Cortland, 69-58 L

Buffalo State took an early lead, but was not able to build and maintain momentum throughout the match.

Brendyn Cheng led the prowl with 14 points while Matt Parkinson and Remi Skvorc added 13. Nigel Burch netted 11 points in the effort.

The Bengals started the game strong as they jumped out to a 14-12 advantage in the first half, but once the Red Dragons grabbed a lead they held onto it for the remainder of the game.

Cortland went on a 10-5 run to make it a seven-point game before they took a hefty 32-19 advantage over Buffalo State.

Cheng made a jumper and Corcel Smallhorne netted a free throw to trail 36-22 at the end of the first half.

Cheng opened up the second half with two layups and a free throw to cut the deficit to nine, before an 11-4 by the Bengals made it a 42-38 game with 15 minutes to play.

Cortland went on a 7-1 run to take a 10-point advantage with 11:23 to play before the Bengals were scoreless for three-and-a-half minutes to trail by 12.

Cheng and Maley McCurty netted a pair from the charity stripe and Parkinson added a layup and a free throw to trail 64-55 with 1:32 left to play.

Buffalo State fell 69-58 in their final game, and head coach Ansari Fajri’s last game before retirement.

The Bengals were 21-of-56 from the field, 3-of-17 from three and 13-of-16 from the charity stripe.

Buffalo State vs. Oswego, 91-53 L

The Bengals were demolished by No. 4 Oswego on Saturday as BSU never held an advantage.

The Lakers went undefeated in conference play while Buffalo State was winless.

Cheng led the team with 10 points and six boards while Burch was just shy of a double-double performance as he snagged 10 rebounds and netted nine points.

Tyseer Rahman and Bryce Williams each added eight points while Skvorc added seven.

The Bengals were 18-of-67 from the field, 4-of-17 from three and 13-of-15 from the free throw line.

Oswego quickly took a 22-8 advantage over Buffalo State before they extended their lead to 22 (33-11) with 6:03 left in the first half.

An 11-9 run by the Bengals saw themselves down 42-22 at the end of the first half.

Skvorc had a jumper and Burch sank a triple before McCurty and Cheng netted free throws to trail 52-31. An 8-4 run by the Bengals made it 56-39 with 14:09 to play.

As Buffalo State was scoreless for nearly six minutes, Oswego jumped out to a 72-42 advantage with 7:41 to go. The Lakers went on another 12-4 run to lead 84-46 which turned into a 91-53 loss for the Bengals.

Buffalo State was outrebounded 52-41 in the effort.