Francis Boeck
Francis Boeck
Executive Editor

Men’s basketball loses 19th game in a row

Buffalo State Athletics

The Bengals (0-19, 0-12 SUNYAC) struggled to find their rhythm and fell to the Golden Eagles, 64-48, at home on Tuesday.

Nigel Burch led the team with 13 points, six rebounds and a steal while Jacob Opare added 11 points, an assist and a steal.

Brendyn Cheng started things off with a jumper. Nigel Burch followed up with a three before the game was tied at 7-7. Brockport went on a 13-2 run to lead 20-9 over the Bengals with 12:38 left in the first half.

The rest of the game was not a pretty sight for the Bengals as they had as much rhythm as Taylor Swift doing the swag surf. The Golden Eagles took advantage of Buffalo State’s sloppiness and went on a 15-3 run to lead by 20 with 3:17 until halftime.

The Bengals found themselves down 21 points as they trailed 45-24 at the break.

Buffalo State had 10 turnovers in the first half as a player threw the ball into no-man’s land and their bounce passes were intercepted.

Maley McCurty had a steal followed by a driving layup. Then the Bengals went on a three-minute scoring drought, which was broken when Burch hit a layup with 14:37 left to play.

Opare made a pair of free throws to spark a 5-2 run to trail 55-41 with 5:39 to go.

Ultimately, the Bengals were not able to overcome Brockport. They rremain winless this season.

Buffalo State finished the match 3-of-14 from behind the arc, 14-of-49 from the field and 17-of-24 from the charity stripe.

They were outrebounded by Brockport 45-31.

The Bengals next game is set for Saturday against Fredonia at the “Battle of the Lake.” Tip-off is set for 4p.m.