Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Buffalo Bills get back on track with big win against New York Jets

https://pixy.org/4214058/
Buffalo Bills logo drawing (Cliparts) buffalo bills,logo

The Bills were back at home Sunday afternoon, taking down the New York Jets 32-6.

Buffalo’s offense looked great in their first game with a new offensive play caller, recording 393 yards of total offense in the contest.

Quarterback Josh Allen had a great game as well, completing 20 of his 32 passes for 275 yards and three touchdown to only one interception, which came on a hail mary at the end of the first half.

The running game also contributed, recording 130 yards with most coming from James Cook who had 17 carries for 73 yards in the victory.

Buffalo’s defense was also great, despite some key injuries in the contest, that included safety Taylor Rapp being taken off in an ambulance.

The key player was Rasul Douglas, who recorded two interceptions and a fumble recovery in the win, as Buffalo won its first game since late October.

Recap

The New York Jets started the game receiving the ball, and on the opening kickoff, returner Xavier Gipson fumbled, allowing Buffalo’s Quinton Morris to recover the ball for the Bills.

This would allow Buffalo to show off their new offense under new offensive coordinator Joe Brady, but the Bills offense would quickly be forced to kick a field goal despite the good field position.

New York’s offense would then get the ball back, but the Bills defense would force a three and out, and get the ball back to their offense.

The Bills offense would then take the ball down the field, entering Jets territory and even getting the ball as close as their 20-yard line, but again would settle for three points, putting them up 6-0.

When the Jets offense got the ball back, the Bills defense was able to again shutdown New York, and they would again punt.

Buffalo got the ball back and would pick up right where they left off, driving down the field with ease. This was until they got deep into Jets territory, where the offense would stall out for the third time, and kicker Tyler Bass would again add three more points to the teams lead.

This time the Jets would drive down the field a little, but the end result was still the same, as the Jets punted for the fourth time.

Buffalo’s offense would then punt for the first time on the afternoon, giving the Jets decent field position for their next drive.
This gave New York another chance to score, but quarterback Zach Wilson would throw an interception to Bills Rasual Douglas, giving Buffalo the ball back for the fourth time.
This would lead to the first touchdown of the game as Josh Allen found running back James Cook underneath, giving Buffalo a 16-0 lead.

The Jets offense would finally wake up, driving the ball 84 yards on 11 plays, ending in a Zach Wilson touchdown pass to Breece Hall on a screen pass, but the team would fail the two-point conversion, making it 16-6 with under a minute left in the opening half.

Buffalo would try to add points before the half, but were unsuccessful, as they led by 10 at halftime.

2nd half

The Bills would start the second half with the football, and pick up right where they left off, driving 80 yards on eight plays that ended when running back Ty Johnson caught a pass from Allen underneath and took it 28 yards. Tyler Bass would miss the extra point, but Buffalo still had a 22-6 lead.
The Jets weren’t able to do much with their opening drive though, punting the ball after just five plays.

The Bills offense would then take just two plays to score, as wide receiver Khalil Shakir took it 81 yards to the endzone to put a cap on the game, making the score 29-6.

The offenses would then slow down, as the teams would trade punts, including a quarterback change for New York, as Zach
Wilson was benched for backup Tim Boyle.

However, the change wouldn’t do much, as wide receiver Garret Wilson fumbled, giving the ball back to Buffalo.

Buffalo would run the clock down, as they punted twice with another Jets punt in-between.

The Bills would then drive down the field, capping off the night with one more field goal from Tyler Bass, his fourth of the game, to make it 32-6.

The Jets would then hold the ball with under three minutes to go before Tim Boyle threw an interception, putting the nail in the coffin for New York.

From there, Buffalo’s backup Kyle Allen would run out the rest of the clock, and Buffalo would hold on to win 32-6.

Takeaways

The Bills offense was well rounded in the contest, and it led to massive victory at home in a game they had to have.

New coordinator Joe Brady led Buffalo to its most points in the first half in a long time, as Buffalo cruised past their division rivals.

The defense performed well too, led by Rasul Douglas, furthering Buffalo’s dominance in this one.

With the win, Buffalo now moves to 6-5 on the season, as they gear up for a huge matchup next Sunday against the 8-1 Philadelphia Eagles.