Head over heels: the new sports team to look out for
View All
Staff Spotlight
Dan Almasi
Dan Almasi
Executive Editor
Survey

What's the worst way to end a semester?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Buffalo State University football team wins first game since 2019

The Buffalo State softball team fell in their first two matches but regrouped to win the third

The Buffalo State Bengals won their first football game of the 2023 season on Saturday, beating the Dean College Bulldogs 41-7.

The Bengals won in large part due to their running game which had 348 yards on the game. Two players did most of the work for the running game. Those are Cody Phillips and Ale Wilson. Wilson ran the ball very effectively, running for 201 yards and three touchdowns on 22 carries in the game.

Wilson broke off two big runs in the game for touchdowns. One for 55 yards and another for 36 yards, respectively. Phillips also contributed, having 120 yards and a touchdown on 27 carries in the Bengals winning effort.

Both Quarterbacks Noah Kimble, and Amir Cameron threw touchdown passes as well to wide receivers Tariq Nelson and Tyler Mills in the 34-point victory.

Buffalo State led the game at halftime 28-0 and 35-0 entering the fourth quarter before the Bulldogs finally scored their lone touchdown of the game.

The Bengals snapped what had been a 26-game losing streak that had been active since October of 2019 when they last won against the University of Rochester 13-7.

The game also saw head coach Lazarus Morgan win his first game of his head coaching career with the Bengals. He had been hired by the team before the 2022 season.