Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Buffalo Bills win home opener against Raiders 38-10

Angela Caico
The Buffalo Bills face the Las Vegas Raiders at Highmark Stadium.

The Buffalo Bills bounced back from their devastating loss to the Jets in week one this Sunday, beating the Las Vegas Raiders in front of their home crowd 38-10.

The game saw quarterback Josh Allen take a massive step forward, completing 31 of 37 passes for 274 passing yards and three passing touchdowns. Even more impressive was that he did this with no turnovers in a blowout win at home.

The offense ran for a total of 183 yards and two rushing touchdowns. From Damien Harris and Latavius Murray, respectively. They also had 29 first downs and converted on seven of their thirteen attempts on third down. However, the highlight was that their offense played very aggressive and went for it four times in this game, and it paid off, as they converted on three of their four attempts.

The offensive line had a pretty good game, only allowing Allen to be sacked twice. They held up well in the ground game, allowing all three James Cook, Latavius Murray, and Damien Harris to run the ball efficiently when called upon. Another impressive stat is that the Bills offense had the ball for 40 minutes and four seconds, or two-thirds of the game.

Overall, the Bills offense was elite Sunday, taking care of business in a dominating effort. However, the defense was even more impressive.

The Bills defense played exceptionally well Sunday afternoon against the Raiders, but it didn’t start too well. They gave up a touchdown on the game’s first drive to wide receiver Davante Adams. However, after their bad start, they didn’t look back. The Bills defense would hold the Raiders offense to just 240 yards.

While the defense didn’t have any sacks, they had consistent pressure on quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, forcing him to make some questionable throws. This led to two interceptions in a three-turnover outing for the Bills defense.

However, the most impressive part of the Bills defense Sunday afternoon was their run defense. The Bills held last year’s rushing leader to nine carries for negative two yards. As well as the Raiders to just 55 yards on the ground.

Overall, the Bills defense had an impressive day, forcing three turnovers in what was a perfect day for the Bills.

The Bills bounced back in a big way on Sunday afternoon. With a great offensive game and a three-turnover performance from their defense, Buffalo showed that they are still a great football team.

Heading into next week, the Bills will be taking on the Washington Commanders in Orchard Park as they look to continue their winning ways against a formidable Washington team.