Shooting at McKinley High School: student stabbed, guard shot

Elijah Robinson, Opinion Editor

Buffalo Police report a student, 14, was stabbed multiple times and a security guard, 27, was shot Wednesday afternoon at McKinley High School.

“There was a dispute that occurred. An individual pulled out a gun, fired multiple shots,” Buffalo Police Deputy Commissioner Joseph Gramagilia said in a press conference.

The school was immediately placed on lockdown. SUNY Buffalo State issued a shelter-in-place for students and faculty following reports that the shooter was near the college at 4:13 p.m.

The shelter-in-place was lifted at 6:30 p.m. All evening classes were canceled.

Police said the male security guard was shot in the leg and taken ECMC with non-life threatening injuries.

WIVB reports the security guard is Brad Walker.

At 6:30 p.m., Mayor Byron Brown announced via Twitter the security guard was released from ECMC.

The male student was transported to Oishei Children’s Hospital for treatment, and underwent surgery, according to WGRZ and WIVB. He is currently recovering.

Initial reports said the student was shot.

“We don’t believe there’s an immediate threat at this time, the entire area has been cleared,” said Gramagilia.

According to the Buffalo Police, the shooting did not happen inside the school, but on school property.

“We leave here to go work, you think your kids are fine in school, and they’re not,” said Latrese Hayes, mother of McKinley High School student.

The suspect is at-large. The name and description of the suspect has not been released by the police.

Buffalo Police asked motorists and pedestrians to avoid the Elmwood Avenue area between 198 and Amherst Street as the investigation was being conducted.

McKinley High School will conduct remote learning for the next 3-4 days, according to Buffalo Public Schools Superintendent Kriner Cash.

The Record will continue to follow this story.

Updated 02/10/2022 12:28 p.m.