Homecoming 2019 Preview

Shavonne Pucula, Staff Writer

Homecoming – a time of friends, family, laughter, fun and memories. Homecoming has been a tradition at schools and colleges for years and SUNY Buffalo State’s 2019 Homecoming activities and events are this week. This is what Buffalo State has in store for staff, students, alumni, friends, and family:

Monday, October 21st

Lip Sync Battle Auditions

Campbell Student Union Social Hall, 6:00 pm

If you have registered to participate in the Lip Sync Battle later in the week, the auditions help you and the staff makes sure that what you want to do is doable.

Tuesday, October 22nd

Bengal Pause: Homecoming Kickoff!

Campbell Student Union, 12:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m.

There will be live music, giveaways (stuffed Bengals are coming back), snacks … etc. There is an online give away from the Buffalo State Student Life social media accounts going on right now. There will also be live performances form groups around campus and a craft section.

Wednesday, October 23rd

Alumni Concert

Rockwell Hall, 7:30 p.m.-8:10 p.m.  

Anyone is welcome to the Alumni concert.

Alumni Reception

Rockwell Hall, 8:10 p.m.-9:10 p.m.

Lip Sync Battle!

Campbell Student Union Social Hall, 7:00 pm

Anyone is welcome. First, second and third place will be announced by the table of judges composed of faculty and staff. The next day all three winners will be announced again at the pep rally and the first place winner will perform their routine once again.

Thursday, October 24th

Pep Rally

The Plaza, 12:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m.

There will be a big stage, DJ, athletes, cheerleaders, different groups, and our very own President Katherine Conway-Turner. We will see different groups who have registered perform along with the lip sync battle. During all the fun there will also be free t-shirts being thrown by faculty into the crowd.

USG’s Bengal BBQ

The Plaza, 12:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m.

Students are required to use their event passes through Bengal connect on the Corq app for the entry of family, friends and themselves. There will be Chicken BBQ and vegetarian options. A fun time with friends, family, and free food.

Friday, October 25th

Men’s Soccer v.s. Cortland

Coyer Field, 3:00 p.m.

The Men’s Soccer team has been off to a great start. This is a good opportunity to come out and show your Bengal support.

Bengal March Through Campus

Begins at Lot R-14 at 4:00 p.m.

In past years there has been a parade off-campus, however, this didn’t get the best attention. This year President Conway-Turner will lead organizations, faculty, and anyone who wants to join, in a march around campus to show Bengal pride. It will start in lot R-14 go around and through campus back to lot R-14 where the USG Carnival will take place. Come and show your Bengal pride and join the march.

USG Carnival

Lot R-14, 5:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.

The USG Carnival is back and better than ever. Past years there has been a tailgate that didn’t get much interest. The carnival is now back in its place welcoming friends, family, and Bengal’s to enjoy some food, games, and rides.

Saturday, October 26th

Scholar Donor Breakfast

Campbell Student Union Social Hall, 8:00 a.m.-9:30 a.m.

Bengal and Bagel Breakfast

Science and Mathematics Complex, 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.

Designed for family and friends and anyone in for a good time and some more food. It is free for students and $25 per family member.

Football v.s. Union

Coyer Field, 12:00 p.m.

The time has come. The big football game isn’t too far away. Faculty and students can get in for free. Tickets will be sold starting an hour before game time. Alumni and guests can receive free tickets with registration by contacting the athletics office ahead of time.

Men’s Soccer v.s. Oswego

Coyer Field at 3:00 p.m.

Another opportunity to come out and support the men’s soccer team.

Sunday, October 27th

Bengal Alumni Brunch

Jacqueline Vito LoRusso Alumni and Visitor Center, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

Designed for alumni but is open to anyone who can come.

Family Brunch

Bengal Kitchen, 10:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m.  

Another event for Bengals to enjoy some food with their family.

This year the STOMP competition has been canceled due to a lack of ticket sales and groups registering. STOMP may return next year or there will be some other event/activity to take its place.

Homecoming is a great way to get involved in campus. If you’re not participating in any events, just showing up will enhance your college experience. We’re all here to get degrees, but when we walk that stage and earn our diplomas – taking part in events such as Homecoming will be the best memories we will hold. Take some time and go get free food and t-shirts, hang out with friends and make new ones, enjoy the time you have and do what you can to make your college experience one you’ll never forget.