The Herd: THIS executes grit-pounded riffs and garage-punk soul, as well as crazy dance moves

Back to Article
Back to Article

THIS frequents Milkie's, Mr. Goodbar, Nietzsche’s and works with Mammoth Records in Buffalo to record their music. There albums “Second Matters” and “Is an EP” are available through their website, Bandcamp and SoundCloud. (Photo courtesy of THIS.)

Zachary Lewis, Music writer

Local music is thriving!

There are so many musicians illuminating Buffalo’s music scene. The city and its suburbs carry an impressive list of venues and you can catch a show seven nights a week. New bands are crawling out of the woodwork, experimenting and creating sound with high energy and innovation.

THIS, a band comprised of two bassists and a drummer, is taking Allentown and the Elmwood Village by storm! THIS creates an explosive fusion between hard rock, grunge and punk, executing grit-pounded riffs and garage-punk soul. Vocalist and rhythm bassist, Hayley Metro, pumps out intensely raw vocal harmonies which emanate with passion. Of her vast influences, she pointed out her love for the “Lord of The Rings” film scores, Freddy Mercury of Queen, Bob Dylan and Nine Inch Nails.

Lead bassist, Logan Drost, lays down a monumental lead section that couldn’t sound more natural. Though he solely plays bass in the band, Logan’s style has been influenced by guitar players like John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Francis and Joey Santiago of the Pixies. Drummer, Nick Gannon, holds down the rhythm section with creative fills influenced by Travis Barker.

I asked the band if they could play with any famous musician in the world, who and where would it be? Unanimously it was Chad Smith in London, then later to be recorded at Third Man Records!

Hayley and Logan have been in a committed relationship for roughly 10 years, writing music together indefinitely. Most songs performed by THIS were written prior to their name. Logan early on pushed Hayley to sing and perform live after she had been told by many that she wasn’t talented enough. Hayley and Logan met Nick at Stamps on Main Street in North Tonawanda after a gig two years ago. Nick invited THIS to play shows at his house “The Bronze” (Buffy reference). Soon after, Nick became the new drummer naturally. Finding a name was a challenge for the band, they tried names like “the love hammocks” and “Janis and the Jeans”. It wasn’t until Logan and Hayley, living in their previous apartment above Founding Fathers decided to roll with the running joke of “This is a band.” It clicked.

THIS frequents Milkie’s, Mr. Goodbar, Nietzsche’s and works with Mammoth Records in Buffalo to record their music. There albums “Second Matters” and “Is an EP” are available through their website, Bandcamp and SoundCloud. They do not have a record label and currently book their own shows. The band is looking forward to their summer tour with accompanying band, SWIM NAKED.

I asked each member to leave an inspirational quote for upcoming musicians, bands or fans. Hayley said, “Don’t play music for others, play for yourself”. Logan advises, “Play to your strengths, don’t convince yourself your something you’re not”. And Nick? “Make sure your band name is searchable!”

When given the opportunity to watch THIS perform, you can expect music that is effortlessly expressive. They’re three musicians who demonstrate love for the craft through hard work and crazy dance moves, which knock the chord out of the guitars (sometimes) as well as professional execution.

“The Herd” is a new column by Zachary Lewis dedicated to exposing as many bands as possible.