Women’s soccer split games in Bengals Classic

Victoria Colotti scored the first goal in the win over Baldwin Wallace in Game 2 of the Buffalo State Bengal Classic.

Buffalo State Athletics

Buffalo State Athletics

After a record-breaking season last season, the Buffalo State women’s soccer team is trying to start 2017 on the same level. The early parts, that include no SUNYAC play until Geneseo on Sept. 22, have been a struggle.

Going into the Buffalo State Bengals Classic, the women’s team was 0-1-1, though left the weekend with its first win in 2017 over Baldwin Wallace, 2-0, and a loss to Rutgers-Newark, 3-0.

In Game 1 versus Rutgers-Newark, the Bengals put up a fight, but struggled to get a shot on net. In the 90 minutes of play, Buffalo State only had one of their eight shots hit the goaltender. Rutgers-Newark took advantage with its kicks, shooting 12 and landing six on net.

Rutgers-Newark’s Sabrina Solorzano scored in the 28th minute, Buffalo State gave up an own goal off a deflection in the 59th minute and Haley Savvy hit the back of the net in the 65th minute to defeat the Bengals, 3-0.

In Game 2, Buffalo State was matched up against Baldwin Wallace. The Bengals showed a different offense as they attacked fast and efficient.

Lindsay Mahoney hit the back of the net on a rebound shot of her own in the 12th minute to put the Bengals on the board. Buffalo State didn’t wait much longer to strike again.

Victoria Colotti, just nine minutes later, headed in a free kick from Breanna Knight to put Buffalo State up 2-0. The defense, a pivotal cog of Bengals women’s soccer program, stood tall without allowing a goal in the game.

Goaltender Nicole Torres earned the shutout with seven saves to put Buffalo State in the win column.

The Buffalo State Bengals will host Nazareth today at 6:30 p.m. at Coyer Field. Nazareth has a 3-1 record and 1-1 road record. The Bengals will also host Union on Saturday, Sept. 16 at 2 p.m. Union has a 2-1-1 record and a 0-0-1 away record as of Wednesday morning.